section .0900 – TRAINER CERTIFICATE
14B NCAC 16 .0901 REQUIREMENTS FOR A FIREARMS TRAINER CERTIFICATE
(a) Firearms trainer applicants shall:
(1) meet the minimum standards established by Rule .0703 of this Chapter;
(2) have a minimum of one year of supervisory experience in security with a contract security company or proprietary security organization, or one year of experience with any federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency;
(3) attain a 90 percent score on a firearm's prequalification course approved by the Board and the Secretary of Public Safety, with a copy of the firearm's course certificate to be kept on file in the administrator's office;
(4) to teach handgun qualification, complete a training course approved by the Board and the Secretary of Public Safety that shall consist of a minimum of 32 hours of classroom and practical range training in safety and maintenance, range operations, night firearm training, control and safety procedures, and methods of handgun firing;
(5) to teach shotgun or rifle qualification, complete a training course approved by the Board and the Secretary of Public Safety that shall consist of a minimum of 24 hours of classroom and practical range training in shotgun and rifle safety and maintenance, range operations, night firearm training, control and safety procedures, and methods of shotgun and rifle firing;
(6) pay the certified trainer application fee established in Rule .0903(a)(1) of this Section; and
(7) successfully complete the requirements of the Unarmed Trainer Certificate set forth in Rule .0909 of this Section.
(b) The applicant's score on the prequalification course set forth in Subparagraph (a)(3) of this Rule is valid for 180 days after completion of the course.
(c) In lieu of completing the training course set forth in Subparagraph (a)(4) of this Rule, an applicant may submit to the Board a current Criminal Justice Specialized Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor Certificate from the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission.
(d) In lieu of Subparagraphs (a)(2) and (4) of this Rule, an applicant may establish that the applicant satisfies the conditions set forth in G.S. 93B-15.1(a) for firearm instruction and two years of verifiable experience within the past five years in the U.S. Armed Forces as a firearms instructor.
(e) All applicants subject to Paragraphs (c) and (d) of this Rule shall comply with the provisions of Subparagraph (a)(3), pay the application fee amount as set forth in Rule .0903 of this Section, and complete the eight-hour course given by the Board on rules and regulations.
(f) In addition to the requirement of Section .0200 of this Chapter, an applicant for a firearms trainer certificate who is the spouse of an active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces shall establish that the application satisfies the conditions set forth in G.S. 93B-15.1(b).
(g) A Firearms Trainer Certificate expires two years after the date of issuance.
History Note: Authority G.S. 74C-5; 74C-9; 74C-13; 93B-15.1;
Eff. June 1, 1984;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2014; October 1, 2013; December 1, 2008; January 1, 2008; August 1, 2004; November 1, 1991;
Transferred and Recodified from 12 NCAC 07D .0901 Eff. July 1, 2015;
Amended Eff. February 1, 2016; October 1, 2015.