14B NCAC 16 .0909 UNARMED TRAINER CERTIFICATE
(a) To receive an unarmed trainer certificate, an applicant shall meet the following requirements:
(1) comply with the requirements of Rule .0703 of this Chapter;
(2) have a minimum of one year of experience in security with a contract security company or proprietary security organization, or one year of experience with any federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency;
(3) successfully complete a training course approved by the Board and the Secretary of Public Safety which shall consist of a minimum of 24 hours classroom instruction to include the following topic areas:
(A) civil liability for the security trainer -- (two hours);
(B) interpersonal communications in instruction -- (three hours);
(C) teaching adults -- (four hours);
(D) principles of instruction -- (one hour);
(E) methods and strategies of instruction -- (one hour);
(F) principles of instruction: audio-visual aids -- (three hours); and
(G) student performance -- (45 minute presentation);
(4) receive a favorable recommendation from the employing or contracting licensee; and
(5) submit the application required by Rule .0910 of this Section, which is available on the Board's website at www.ncdps.gov/PPS.
(b) In lieu of completing the training course set forth in Subparagraph (a)(3) of this Rule, an applicant may submit to the Board:
(1) a Criminal Justice General Instructor Certificate from the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission; or
(2) any training certification that meets or exceeds the requirements of Subparagraph (a)(3) of this Rule and is approved by the Director of PPS.
(c) In lieu of the experience requirement of Subparagraph (a)(2) of this Rule and completing the training course set forth in Subparagraph (a)(3) of this Rule, an applicant may establish that the applicant satisfies the conditions set forth in G.S. 93B-15.1(a) for an unarmed trainer and two years of verifiable experience within the past five years in the U.S. Armed forces as an unarmed guard trainer.
(d) In addition to the requirements of Section .0200 of this Chapter, an applicant for an unarmed guard trainer certificate that is the spouse of an active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces shall establish that the applicant satisfies the conditions set forth in G.S. 93B-15.1(b).
(e) An Unarmed Trainer Certificate shall expire two years after the date of issuance.
History Note: Authority G.S. 74C-8; 74C-9; 74C-11; 93B-15.1;
Eff. October 1, 2004;
Amended Eff. October 1, 2013; January 1, 2013; January 1, 2008;
Transferred and Recodified from 12 NCAC 07D .0909 Eff. July 1, 2015;
Amended Eff. October 1, 2015.