15A NCAC 03L .0103 PROHIBITED NETS, MESH SIZES AND AREAS
(a) It is unlawful to take shrimp with nets with mesh lengths less than the following:
(1) Trawl net ‑ one and one‑half inches;
(2) Fixed nets, channel nets, float nets, butterfly nets, and hand seines ‑ one and one‑fourth inches; and
(3) Cast net ‑ no restriction.
(b) It is unlawful to take shrimp with a net constructed in such a manner as to contain an inner or outer liner of any mesh size. Net material used as chafing gear shall be no less than four inches mesh length except that chafing gear with smaller mesh may be used only on the bottom one‑half of the tailbag. Such chafing gear shall not be tied in a manner that forms an additional tailbag.
(c) It is unlawful to take shrimp with trawls which have a combined headrope of greater than 90 feet in internal coastal waters except:
(1) Pamlico Sound;
(2) Pamlico River downstream of a line from a point 35° 18.5882'N – 76° 28.9625'W at Pamlico Point; running northerly to a point 35° 22.3741'N – 76° 28.6905'W at Willow Point;
(3) Neuse River northeast of a line from a point 34° 58.2000'N – 76° 40.5167'W at Winthrop Point on the eastern shore of the entrance to Adam's Creek running northerly to a point 35° 01.0744' N – 76° 42.1550' W at Windmill Point at the entrance of Greens Creek at Oriental.
(d) It is unlawful to use a shrimp trawl in the areas described in 15A NCAC 03R .0114.
(e) It is unlawful to use channel nets except as provided in 15A NCAC 03J .0106.
(f) It is unlawful to use shrimp pots except as provided in 15A NCAC 03J .0301.
(g) It is unlawful to use a shrimp trawl that does not conform with the federal rule requirements for Turtle Excluder Devices (TED) as specified in 50 CFR Part 222.102 Definitions, 50 CFR Part 223.205 (a) and Part 223.206 (d) Gear Requirements for Trawlers, and 50 CFR Part 223.207 Approved TEDs. Copies of these rules are available via the Code of Federal Regulations posted on the Internet at http://www.gpoaccess.gov/cfr/index.html and at the Division of Marine Fisheries, P.O. Box 769, Morehead City, North Carolina 28557 at no cost.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113‑134; 113‑182; 143B‑289.52;
Eff. January 1, 1991;
Amended Eff. April 1, 2009; July 1, 2006.