15A NCAC 11 .1509 PRIOR NOTIFICATION FOR WASTE SHIPMENTS
(a) Prior to each shipment of waste to a disposal facility located in North Carolina, both the agency and the facility operator shall receive written notice from the shipper no less than 72 hours and no earlier than 30 days before the expected date of arrival of the shipment at the disposal facility.
(b) The prior notification required in Paragraph (a) of this Rule shall be filed on a "Radioactive Waste Shipment Prior Notification Form", or appropriate form(s) approved by the agency and which shall include the following:
(1) name and address of shipper;
(2) person responsible for waste shipment, including:
(B) title; and
(C) telephone number;
(3) site access license number of the shipper and the site access license number of any other generator, processor, or collector involved with the waste;
(4) shipment identification number originated by and obtained from the disposal facility operator;
(5) location from which waste will be shipped;
(6) name and address of consignee;
(7) scheduled date of departure of shipment;
(8) estimated date of arrival of shipment;
(10) trailer number and owner, if available;
(11) type of transport vehicle;
(12) transportation route;
(13) type of package or cask model number;
(14) type of container in cask;
(15) package or cask specification;
(16) complete waste description;
(17) physical and chemical form;
(18) total number of packages;
(19) prominent radionuclides;
(20) total curies;
(21) waste class and stability;
(22) total cubic feet;
(23) U.S. Department of Transportation Sub Type , such as Low Specific Activity;
(24) U.S. Department of Transportation Identification Number;
(25) indication of highway route controlled quantity;
(26) such other relevant information necessary for the agency to determine compliance with these Rules;
(27) signature block certifying validity of information provided; and
(28) signature block for consignee.
(c) The shipper shall immediately notify the agency and the facility operator of any cancellations or changes in the prior notification form which may occur immediately prior to the shipment departing from the facility enroute to the disposal facility; including, but not limited to the date of arrival, total number of packages, curie content, volume, or waste classification. This notification may be transmitted via documented telephone conversation, or the use of telecopy or facsimile machine.
(d) No shipment of waste to a disposal facility in North Carolina shall commence until the shipper has received and documented confirmation from the operator of the disposal facility that the information provided on the prior notification form and any changes, as identified by the requirements in Paragraph (c) of this Rule, comply with the conditions of the facility operator's license.
(e) With each separate shipment of waste to the North Carolina disposal facility the shipper shall provide to the carrier a copy of the prior notification form required by Paragraph (a) of this Rule for delivery to the disposal facility operator. This copy shall reflect any changes made pursuant to Paragraph (c) of this Rule.
(f) Following the acceptance of each shipment of waste at the North Carolina disposal facility, the disposal facility operator shall sign the prior notification form and submit signed copies to the agency and to the shipper within one week after acceptance.
(g) The prior notification form required in this Rule is in addition to the manifest requirements in Rule .1510 of this Section.
History Note: Authority G.S. 104E‑10.3; 104E‑27;
Eff. January 1, 1995.