15A NCAC 13B .1205 REQUIREMENTS FOR TRANSPORTERS OF REGULATED MEDICAL WASTE
A person who transports Regulated medical waste that has not been treated at the generating facility shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Transporters shall not accept waste which is improperly packaged.
(2) Regulated medical waste shall be transported in a manner that prevents leakage of the contents of the package.
(3) The integrity of the package shall be maintained at all times.
(4) The labeling and marking of the package shall be maintained at all times.
(5) All loads containing Regulated medical waste shall be covered during transportation.
(6) The universal biohazard symbol shall be displayed on all transportation vehicles, in accordance with Department of Transportation Standards and 49 CFR 172 Subpart F.
(7) Regulated medical waste shall be delivered to a permitted storage or treatment facility within seven calendar days of the date of shipment from the generator.
(8) Refrigeration at an ambient temperature between 35 and 45 degrees Fahrenheit shall be maintained for Regulated medical waste that will not be delivered for treatment within seven calendar days.
(9) A contingency plan shall be prepared and maintained in each vehicle used in the transporting of Regulated medical waste. The operator of each vehicle shall be knowledgeable of the plan.
(10) Vehicles used for the transportation of Regulated medical waste shall be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected with a mycobacteriocidal disinfectant before being used for any other purpose and in the event of leakage from packages.
(11) While transporting Regulated medical waste, vehicles are prohibited from transporting any material other than solid waste and supplies related to the handling of medical waste.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A‑309.26;
Eff. October 1, 1990.