15A NCAC 13B .1206 REQUIREMENTS FOR STORAGE OF REGULATED MEDICAL WASTE
A person who stores Regulated medical waste that has not been treated at the generating facility shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Regulated medical waste shall be stored in a manner that prevents leakage of the contents of the package.
(2) Regulated medical waste shall be stored in a manner that maintains the integrity of the packaging at all times.
(3) The labeling and marking of the package required in Rule .1204 of this Section shall be maintained at all times.
(4) Regulated medical waste shall not be stored longer than seven calendar days from the date of shipment from the generator unless the Regulated Medical Waste is refrigerated at an ambient temperature between 35 and 45 degrees Fahrenheit.
(5) Only authorized personnel shall have access to areas used to store Regulated medical waste.
(6) All areas used to store Regulated medical waste shall be kept clean. Vermin and insects shall be controlled.
(7) All floor drains shall discharge directly to an approved sanitary sewage system. Ventilation shall be provided and shall discharge so as not to create nuisance odors.
(8) A plan shall be prepared, maintained and updated as necessary to ensure continued proper management of Regulated medical waste at the facility.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A‑309.26;
Eff. October 1, 1990.