15A NCAC 02C .0116 DESIGNATED AREAS: WATER SUPPLY WELLS CASED TO LESS THAN 20 FEET
(a) In some areas the best or only source of potable water supply exists between ten and twenty feet below the surface of the land. In consideration of this, water supply wells may be cased to a depth less than twenty feet in the following areas:
(1) in Currituck County in an area between the sound and a line beginning at the end of SR 1130 near Currituck Sound, thence north to the end of SR 1133, thence north to the end of NC 136 at the intersection with the sound;
(2) on the Outer Banks from the northern corporate limit of Nags Head, south to Ocracoke Inlet;
(3) all areas lying between the Intracoastal Waterway and the ocean from New River Inlet south to New Topsail Inlet; and
(4) all areas lying between the Intracoastal Waterway and the ocean from the Cape Fear River south to the South Carolina line.
(b) The Director may designate additional areas of the state where water supply wells may be cased to a depth less than twenty feet. To designate such areas, the Director shall find:
(1) that the only or best source of drinking water in the area exists between a depth of 10 and 20 feet below the surface of the land; and
(2) at utilization of this source of water in the area is in the best interest of the public.
(c) In all other areas, the source of water shall be at least 20 feet below land surface, except when adequate quantities of potable water cannot be obtained below a depth of twenty feet, the source of water may be obtained from unconsolidated rock formations at depths less than twenty feet provided that:
(1) sufficient water of acceptable quality for the intended use can be shown, to the satisfaction of the Department that it is not available to a minimum depth of fifty feet;
(2) the proposed source of water is the maximum feasible depth above 20 feet, but in no case less than ten feet; and
(3) the regional office of the Department is notified prior to the construction of a well obtaining water from a depth between 10 and 20 feet below land surface.
History Note: Authority G.S. 87‑87;
Eff. April 20, 1978;
Amended Eff. September 1, 2009, December 1, 1992; July 1, 1988; September 1, 1984.