15A NCAC 02C .0217 PERMITTING BY RULE
(a) The following injection well systems are deemed to be permitted by the rules of this Section pursuant to G.S. 87-88(a) and it shall not be necessary for the Division to issue an individual permit for the construction or operation of the following injection well systems providing that the system does not result in the violation of any assigned surface water, groundwater, or air quality standard; there is no groundwater discharge of the injectant into surface waters; and all criteria for the specific systems are met:
(1) Aquifer Test Wells specified in Rule .0220 of this Section;
(2) Geothermal Aqueous Closed Loop Wells specified in Rule .0222 of this Section;
(3) Geothermal Direct Expansion Closed Loop Wells specified in Rule .0223 of this Section;
(4) Groundwater Remediation Wells specified in Rule .0225 of this Section; and
(5) Stormwater Drainage Wells specified in Rule .0227 of this Section.
(b) Any violation of groundwater standards not authorized by the rules of this Section shall be treated in accordance with Rule .0206 of this Section.
(c) An injection well system permitted by rule under the rules of this Section shall remain permitted by rule until such time as the Director determines that it shall not be deemed to be permitted. This determination shall be made based on compliance with the provisions of the rules of this Section.
(d) If the Director determines that an injection well system shall not be permitted by rule, the Director shall require the owner of the injection well system to obtain an individual permit.
History Note: Authority G.S. 87‑87; 87‑88(a);
Eff. May 1, 2012.