15A NCAC 02C .0302 DEFINITIONS
The definitions in G.S. 87-85 and 15A NCAC 02C .0102 apply throughout this Section. In addition, the following definitions apply throughout this Section:
(1) "Addition" means any structure that is constructed, altered or placed on property that contains one or more wells. This would not include replacement of existing equipment within the existing footprint of a structure and addresses only those situations for which a building permit is required.
(2) "Board of Health" means the County Board of Health or successor entity.
(3) "Certificate of Completion" means a certification by the Department that a private drinking water well has been constructed or repaired in compliance with the construction permit or repair permit.
(4) "Construction of wells" means all acts necessary to construct wells for any intended purpose or use, including the location and excavation of the well, placement of casings, screens and fittings, development and testing.
(5) "Construction permit" means a well construction permit issued by the Department authorizing or allowing the construction of any private drinking water well as defined in the rules of this Section.
(6) "Department of Environment and Natural Resources" or "Department" means the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The term also means the authorized representative of the Department. For the purposes of any notices required pursuant to the rules of this Section, notice shall be mailed to "Division of Environmental Health, On-Site Water Protection Section, North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources," 1642 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1642.
(7) "Local Health Department" means the county or district health department or its successor.
(8) "Person" means all persons, including individuals, firms, partnerships, associations, public or private institutions, municipalities or political subdivisions, governmental agencies, or private or public corporations organized or existing under the laws of this State or any other state or country.
(9) "Plat" means a property survey prepared by a registered land surveyor, drawn to a scale of one inch equals no more than 60 feet, that includes: the specific location of all structures and proposed structures and appurtenances, including but not limited to decks, porches, pools, driveways, out buildings, existing and proposed wastewater systems, existing and proposed wells, springs, water lines, surface waters or designated wetlands, easements, including utility easements, and existing or proposed chemical or petroleum storage tanks above or below ground. "Plat" also means, for subdivision lots approved by the local planning authority and recorded with the county register of deeds, a copy of the recorded subdivisions plat that is accompanied by a site plan that is drawn to scale.
(10) "Pumps" and "pumping equipment" means any equipment or materials utilized or intended for use in withdrawing or obtaining ground-water including well seals.
(11) "Repair" means work involved in deepening, reaming, sealing, installing or changing casing depths, perforating, screening, or cleaning, acidizing or redevelopment of a well excavation, or any other work which results in breaking or opening the well seal.
(12) "Repair permit" means a well repair permit issued by the Department authorizing or allowing the repair of any private drinking water well as defined in the rules of this Section.
(13) "Site plan" means a drawing not necessarily drawn to scale that shows the existing and proposed property lines with dimensions, and the specific location of all structures and proposed structures and appurtenances, including decks, porches, pools, driveways, out buildings, existing and proposed wastewater systems, existing and proposed wells, springs, water lines, surface waters or designated wetlands, easements, including utility easements, and existing or proposed chemical or petroleum storage tanks above or below ground.
(14) "Water supply system" means pump and pipe used in connection with or pertaining to the operation of a private drinking water well including pumps, distribution service piping, pressure tanks and fittings.
(15) "Well contractor activity" means the construction, installation, repair, alteration or abandonment of any well.
(16) "Well Contractor" means any person in trade or business who undertakes to perform a well contractor activity or who undertakes to personally supervise or personally manage the performance of a well contractor activity on the person's own behalf or for any person, firm, or corporation in accordance with the well contractor certification requirements of 15A NCAC 27.
(17) "Well seal" means an approved arrangement or device used to cap a well or to establish and maintain a junction between the casing or curbing of a well and the piping or equipment installed therein, the purpose or function of which is to prevent pollutants from entering the well at the upper terminal.
History Note: Authority G.S. 87-87; 87-97;
Eff. July 1, 2008.