15A NCAC 02D .0508 PARTICULATES FROM PULP AND PAPER MILLS
(a) Emissions of particulate matter from the production of pulp and paper that are discharged from any stack or chimney into the atmosphere shall not exceed:
(1) 3.0 pounds per equivalent ton of air dried pulp from a recovery furnace stack;
(2) 0.6 pounds per equivalent ton of air dried pulp from a dissolving tank vent; and
(3) 0.5 pounds per equivalent ton of air dried pulp from a lime kiln stack.
(b) Emissions from any kraft pulp recovery boiler established after July 1, 1971, shall not exceed an opacity of 35 percent when averaged over a six-minute period. However, six-minute averaging periods may exceed 35 percent opacity if:
(1) no six-minute period exceeds 89 percent opacity;
(2) no more than one six-minute period exceeds 35 percent opacity in any one hour; and
(3) no more than four six-minute periods exceed 35 percent opacity in any 24-hour period.
Where the presence of uncombined water vapor is the only reason for failure to meet this opacity limitation, this opacity limitation shall not apply.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-215.3(a)(1); 143-215.107(a)(5);
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Amended Eff. July 1, 1998; August 1, 1987; April 1, 1986; January 1, 1985; May 30, 1978.