15A NCAC 02D .0519 CONTROL OF NITROGEN DIOXIDE AND NITROGEN OXIDES EMISSIONS
(a) The emissions of nitrogen dioxide shall not exceed 5.8 pounds per ton of acid produced from any sulfuric acid manufacturing plant.
(b) The emissions of nitrogen oxides shall not exceed:
(1) 0.8 pounds per million BTU of heat input from any oil or gas‑fired boiler with a capacity of 250 million BTU per hour or more;
(2) 1.8 pounds per million BTU of heat input from any coal‑fired boiler with a capacity of 250 million BTU per hour or more.
(c) The emission limit for a boiler that burns both coal and oil or gas in combination shall be calculated by the equation E = [(Ec) (Qc) + (Eo) (Qo)] / Qt.
(1) E = the emission limit for combination in pounds per million BTU.
(2) Ec = emission limit for coal only as determined by Paragraph (b) of this Rule in pounds per million BTU.
(3) Eo = emission limit for oil or gas as determined by Paragraph (b) of this Rule in pounds per million BTU.
(4) Qc = the actual coal heat input to the combination in BTU per hour.
(5) Qo = the actual oil and gas heat input to the combination in BTU per hour.
(6) Qt = Qc + Qo and is the actual total heat input to the combination in BTU per hour.
(d) A boiler subject to an emission standard for nitrogen oxides under Rule .0524 (New Source Performance Standards) or .1418 (New Generating Units, Large Boilers, and Large I/C Engines) of this Subchapter shall meet the standard in that particular rule instead of the standard in Paragraph (a) of this Rule.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143‑215.3(a)(1); 143‑215.107(a)(5);
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2007; January 1, 2005; July 1, 1996; October 1, 1989; January 1, 1985.