15A NCAC 02D .0541 CONTROL OF EMISSIONS FROM ABRASIVE BLASTING
(a) For the purpose of this Rule, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Abrasives" means any material used in abrasive blasting operations.
(2) "Abrasive blasting" means the operation of cleaning or preparing a surface by forcibly propelling a stream of abrasive material against the surface. Sandblasting is one form of abrasive blasting.
(3) "Abrasive blasting equipment" means any equipment used in abrasive blasting operations.
(4) "Fugitive dust emissions" means emissions of particulate matter into the outdoor atmosphere that is not vented or captured by a stack or chimney.
(5) "Building" means a structure with four or more sides and a roof that is used, in whole or in part, to house or contain abrasive blasting.
(b) The owner or operator shall ensure that any abrasive blasting operation conducted outside a building or conducted indoors and vented to the atmosphere is performed in accordance with the requirements set forth in 15A NCAC 2D .0521, Control of Visible Emissions. For the purposes of this Rule, the visible emissions reading for abrasive blasting performed outside a building shall be taken at a spot approximately one meter above the point of abrasive blasting with a viewing distance of approximately five meters.
(c) Except as provided in Paragraph (d) of this Rule, all abrasive blasting operations shall be conducted within a building.
(d) An abrasive blasting operation conducted under one or more of the following conditions is not required to be conducted within a building:
(1) when the item to be blasted exceeds eight feet in any dimension;
(2) when the surface being blasted is situated at its permanent location or not further away from its permanent location than is necessary to allow the surface to be blasted; or
(3) when the abrasive blasting operation is conducted at a private residence or farm and the visible emissions created by this abrasive blasting operation do not migrate beyond the property boundary of the private residence or farm on which the abrasive blasting operation is being conducted.
(e) The owner or operator of any abrasive blasting operation conducted in accordance with Subparagraphs (d)(1) and (d)(2) of this Rule, outside a building, shall take appropriate measures to ensure that the fugitive dust emissions created by the abrasive blasting operation do not migrate beyond the property boundaries in which the abrasive blasting operation is being conducted. Appropriate measures include the following:
(1) the addition of a suppressant to the abrasive blasting material;
(2) wet abrasive blasting;
(4) vacuum blasting;
(5) shrouded blasting; or
(6) shrouded hydroblasting.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-215.3(a)(1); 143-215.108(c)(7); 143-215.108(d)(1);
Eff. July 1, 2000.