15A NCAC 02D .0602 DEFINITIONS
For the purpose of this Section, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Applicable requirement" means any rule, standard, or requirement of this Subchapter, Subchapter 2Q of this Chapter, or Article 21 of the North Carolina General Statutes.
(2) "Calender quarter" means:
(a) the time period from January 1 through March 31;
(b) the time period from April 1 through June 30;
(c) the time period from July 1 through September 30; or
(d) the time period from October 1 through December 31.
(3) "Capacity factor" means the ratio of the average load on a machine or equipment for the time period considered to the capacity rating of the machine or equipment.
(4) "Distillate oils" means fuel oil, including recycled oil, that complies with the specifications for fuel oil numbers 1 or 2, as defined by the American Society for Testing and Materials in ASTM D-396, "Standard Specification for Fuel Oils".
(5) "Emission standard" means a rule setting forth an allowable rate of emissions, level of opacity, or prescribing equipment, fuel specifications, workplace standards, or material usage that result in control of air pollution emissions;
(6) "Excess emissions" means emissions of an air pollutant in excess of an emission standard.
(7) "Fossil fuel-fired steam generator" means a furnace or boiler used in the process of burning fossil fuel for the primary purpose of producing steam by heat transfer.
(8) "Nitric acid plant" means any facility producing nitric acid 30 to 70 percent in strength by either the pressure or atmospheric pressure process.
(9) "Permit condition" means:
(a) a condition set to comply with or to avoid any applicable requirement; or
(b) a condition set to maintain compliance with toxic air pollutant acceptable ambient levels or ambient air quality standards.
(10) "Petroleum refinery" means any facility engaged in producing gasoline, kerosine, distillate oils, residual oils, lubricants, or other products through the distillation of petroleum, or through the redistillation, cracking, or reforming of unfinished petroleum derivatives.
(11) "Residual oils" means crude oil, fuel oil that does not comply with the specifications under the definition of distillate oil, or all fuel oil numbers 4, 5, and 6, as defined by the American Society for Testing and Materials in ASTM D-396, "Standard Specification for Fuel Oils".
(12) "Sulfuric acid plant" means any facility producing sulfuric acid by the contact process by burning elemental sulfur, alkylation acid, hydrogen sulfide, or acid sludge, but does not include facilities where conversion to sulfuric acid is utilized primarily as a means of preventing emissions to the atmosphere of sulfur dioxide or other sulfur compounds.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-215.3(a)(1); 143-215.65; 143-215.66; 143-215.107(a)(4);
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Amended Eff. April 1, 1999; July 1, 1984; June 18, 1976.