15A NCAC 02D .0922 METAL FURNITURE COATINGS
(a) For the purpose of this Rule, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Application area" means the area where the coating is applied by spraying, dipping, or flowcoating techniques.
(2) "Coating unit" means one or more coating areas and any associated drying area or oven wherein a coating is applied, dried, or cured.
(3) "Metal furniture coatings" means paints, sealants, caulks, inks, adhesives, and maskants.
(b) This Rule applies to each metal furniture surface coating unit source whose emissions of volatile organic compounds exceeds the threshold established in Paragraph (b) of Rule .0902 of this Section.
(c) With the exception stated in Paragraph (f) of this Rule, emissions of all volatile organic compounds from metal furniture coating unit subject to this Rule shall not exceed:
(1) 2.3 pounds of volatile organic compounds per gallon of coating excluding water and exempt compounds (3.3 pounds of volatile organic compounds per gallon of solids) delivered from general, one component or general, multi-component types of coating operations; and
(2) 3.0 pounds of volatile organic compounds per gallon of coating excluding water and exempt compounds (5.1 pounds of volatile organic compounds per gallon of solids) delivered from any other types of coating operations.
(d) EPA Method 24 (40 CFR Part 60, Appendix A-7) shall be used to determine the volatile organic compounds content of coating materials used at metal furniture surface coating units unless the facility maintains records to document the volatile organic compounds content of coating materials from the manufacturer.
(e) Emissions limits established in Subparagraph (c)(2) of this Rule do not apply to stencil coatings, safety-indicating coatings, solid film lubricants, electric-insulating and thermal-conducting coatings, touch up and repair coatings, coating application utilizing hand- held aerosol cans, or cleaning operations.
(f) Any coating unit which has chosen to use add-on control for coating operations rather than the emission limits established in Paragraph (c) of this Rule shall install control equipment with an overall control efficiency of 90 percent or use a combination of coating and add-on control equipment on a coating unit to meet limits established in Paragraph (c) of this Rule.
(g) The owner or operator of any facility subject to this rule shall comply with the Rules .0903 and .0958 of this Section.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-215.3(a)(1); 143-215.107(a)(5);
Eff. July 1, 1979;
Amended Eff. September 1, 2010; July 1, 1996; July 1, 1991; December 1, 1989; January 1, 1985.