15A NCAC 02D .0935 FACTORY SURFACE COATING OF FLAT WOOD PANELING
(a) For the purpose of this Rule, the following definitions apply:
(1) Flat wood paneling coatings means wood paneling product that are any interior, exterior or tileboard (class I hardboard) panel to which a protective, decorative, or functional material or layer has been applied.
(2) "Hardboard" is a panel manufactured primarily from inter felted lignocellulosic fibers which are consolidated under heat and pressure in a hot-press.
(3) "Tileboard" means a premium interior wall paneling product made of hardboard that is used in high moisture area of the home.
(b) This Rule applies to each flat wood paneling coatings source whose volatile organic compounds emissions exceed the threshold established in Paragraph (b) of Rule .0902 of this Section at the facilities with flat wood paneling coating applications for the following products:
(1) class II finishes on hardboard panels;
(2) exterior siding;
(3) natural finish hardwood plywood panels;
(4) printed interior panels made of hardwood, plywood, and thin particleboard; and
(5) tileboard made of hardboard.
(c) Emissions of volatile organic compounds from any factory finished flat wood product operation subject to this Rule shall not exceed 2.1 pounds of volatile organic compounds per gallon material excluding water and exempt compounds (2.9 pounds of volatile organic compounds per gallon solids.)
(d) EPA Method 24 (40 CFR Part 60, Appendix A-7) shall be used to determine the volatile organic compounds content of coating materials used at surface coating of flat wood paneling facilities unless the facility maintains records to document the volatile organic compounds content of coating materials from the manufacturer.
(e) Any facility that meet definition of Paragraph (b) of this Rule and which has chosen to use add-on controls for flat wood paneling coating operation rather than the emission limits established in Paragraph (c) of this Rule shall install control equipment with an overall control efficiency of 90 percent or use a combination of coating and add-on control equipment on a flat wood paneling coating operation to meet limits established in Paragraph (c) of this Rule.
(f) The owner or operator of any facility subject to this Rule shall comply with the Rules .0903 and .0958 of this Section.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-215.3(a)(1); 143-215.107(a)(5);
Eff. July 1, 1980;
Amended Eff. September 1, 2010; July 1, 1996; December 1, 1989; January 1, 1985.