15A NCAC 02D .0956 GLASS CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT MANUFACTURING
(a) For the purpose of this Rule, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Coating" means the application of a layer of material, either by dipping or spraying, in a relatively unbroken film onto glass Christmas ornaments.
(2) "Curing ovens" means any apparatus through which the coated glass Christmas ornaments are conveyed while drying.
(3) "Glass Christmas ornament" means any glass ornament that is coated with decorative exterior and is traditionally hung on Christmas trees.
(4) "Glass Christmas ornament manufacturing facility" means a facility that coats glass Christmas ornaments through the process of interior coating or exterior coating that uses either mechanical or hand-dipping methods, drying (curing), cutting, and packaging operations.
(5) "Mechanical coating lines" means equipment that facilitates mechanized dipping or spraying of a coating onto glass Christmas ornaments in which the neck of each ornament is held mechanically during the coating operation.
(6) "Solvent-borne coating" means a coating that uses organic solvents as an ingredient.
(b) This Rule applies in accordance with Rule .0902 of this Section to any curing ovens servicing the mechanical coating lines in the coating of glass Christmas ornaments at glass Christmas tree ornament manufacturing facilities with potential volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions of 100 tons per year or more.
(c) This Rule does not apply to glass Christmas ornament manufacturing facilities that do not use solvent-borne coating materials.
(d) Emissions of VOC from each curing oven shall be reduced by at least 90 percent by weight.
(e) If the owner or operator of a facility subject to this Rule chooses to use low VOC content, solvent-borne coatings to reduce emissions, the emission reduction from the use of these coatings shall be equivalent to that achieved using add-on controls.
(f) The owner or operator of a Christmas tree ornament manufacturing facility shall notify the Director within 30 days after the calculated annual emissions of VOC from the facility equal or exceed 100 tons per year. The owner or operator shall submit within six months after such calculation a permit application including a schedule to bring the facility into compliance with this Rule.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-215.3(a)(1); 143-215.107(a);
Eff. May 1, 1995.