15A NCAC 2D .0958 WORK PRACTICES FOR SOURCES OF VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS
(a) This Rule applies to all facilities that use volatile organic compounds as solvents, carriers, material processing media, or industrial chemical reactants, or in other similar uses, or that mix, blend, or manufacture volatile organic compounds, or emit volatile organic compounds as a product of chemical reactions.
(b) This Rule does not apply to:
(1) architectural or maintenance coating, or
(2) sources subject to 40 CFR Part 63, Subpart JJ.
(c) The owner or operator of any facility subject to this Rule shall:
(1) store all material, including waste material, containing volatile organic compounds in containers covered with a tightly fitting lid that is free of cracks, holes, or other defects, when not in use,
(2) clean up spills as soon as possible following proper safety procedures,
(3) store wipe rags in closed containers,
(4) not clean sponges, fabric, wood, paper products, and other absorbent materials,
(5) drain solvents used to clean supply lines and other coating equipment into closable containers and close containers immediately after each use,
(6) clean mixing, blending, and manufacturing vats and containers by adding cleaning solvent, closing the vat or container before agitating the cleaning solvent. The spent cleaning solvent shall then be poured into a closed container.
(d) When cleaning parts, the owner or operator of any facility subject to this Rule shall:
(1) flush parts in the freeboard area,
(2) take precautions to reduce the pooling of solvent on and in the parts,
(3) tilt or rotate parts to drain solvent and allow a minimum of 15 seconds for drying or until all dripping has stopped, whichever is longer,
(4) not fill cleaning machines above the fill line,
(5) not agitate solvent to the point of causing splashing.
(e) The owner or operator of a source on which a control device has been installed to comply with 15A NCAC 2D .0518(d) shall continue to maintain and operate the control device unless the Director determines that the removal of the control device shall not cause or contribute to a violation of the ozone ambient air quality standard (15A NCAC 2D .0405).
(f) The owner or operator of a source that has complied with 15A NCAC 2D .0518 by complying with a Rule in this Section, shall continue to comply with that rule unless the Director determines that if the source ceases to comply with that rule, it shall not cause or contribute to a violation of the ozone ambient air quality standard (15A NCAC .0405).
(g) All sources at a facility subject to this Rule shall be permitted unless they are exempted from permitting by 15A NCAC 2Q .0102, Activities Exempted From Permit Requirements.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-215.3(a)(1); 143‑215.107(a)(5);
Eff. July 1, 2000.