section .1200 - CONTROL OF EMISSIONS FROM INCINERATORS
15A NCAC 02D .1201 PURPOSE AND SCOPE
(a) This Section sets forth rules for the control of the emissions of air pollutants from incinerators.
(b) The rules in this Section apply to all types of incinerators as defined by 15A NCAC 02D .0101(21), including incinerators with heat recovery and industrial incinerators.
(c) The rules in this Section do not apply to:
(1) afterburners, flares, fume incinerators, and other similar devices used to reduce the emissions of air pollutants from processes, whose emissions shall be regulated as process emissions;
(2) any boilers or industrial furnaces that burn waste as a fuel, except hazardous waste as defined in 40 CFR 260.10;
(3) air curtain burners, which shall comply with Section .1900 of this Subchapter; or
(4) incinerators used to dispose of dead animals or poultry, that meet the following requirements:
(A) the incinerator is located on a farm and is operated by the farm owner or by the farm operator;
(B) the incinerator is used solely to dispose of animals or poultry originating on the farm where the incinerator is located;
(C) the incinerator is not charged at a rate that exceeds its design capacity; and
(D) the incinerator complies with Rule .0521 (visible emissions) and .1806 (odorous emissions) of this Subchapter.
(d) If an incinerator is more than one type of incinerator, then the following order shall be used to determine the standards and requirements to apply:
(1) hazardous waste incinerators;
(2) sewage sludge incinerators;
(3) sludge incinerators;
(4) municipal waste combustors;
(5) commercial and industrial solid waste incinerators;
(6) hospital, medical, or infectious waste incinerators (HMIWIs);
(7) other solid waste incinerators;
(8) conical incinerators;
(9) crematory incinerators; and
(10) other incinerators.
(e) In addition to any permit that may be required under 15A NCAC 02Q, Air Quality Permits Procedures, a permit may be required by the Division of Waste Management as determined by the permitting rules enforced by the Division of Waste Management.
(f) Referenced document SW-846 "Test Methods for Evaluating Solid Waste," Third Edition, cited by rules in this Section is hereby incorporated by reference and does not include subsequent amendments or editions. A copy of this document is available for inspection at the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources Library located at 512 North Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC 27603. Copies of this document may be obtained through the US Government Printing Office, Superintendent of Documents, P.O. Box 371954, Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7954, or by calling (202) 783-3238. The cost of this document is three hundred nineteen dollars ($319.00).
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-215.3(a)(1); 143-215.107(a)(1), (3), (4), (5);
Eff. October 1, 1991;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2000; July 1, 1999; July 1, 1998; April 1, 1995; December 1, 1993;
Temporary Amendment Eff. March 1, 2002;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2007; December 1, 2005; August 1, 2002.