15a ncac 02d .1410 EMISSIONS AVERAGING
(a) This Rule shall not apply to sources covered under Rules or .1418 of this Section. Sources that have obtained an alternative limitation as provided by Rule .1412 of this Section or that apply seasonal fuel switching as provided by Rule .1411 of this Section are not eligible to participate in an emissions averaging plan under this Rule.
(b) With the exceptions in Paragraph (a) of this Rule, the owner or operator of a facility with two or more sources with comparable plume rise and subject to the requirements of this Section for all such sources as determined by Rule .1402 of this Section may elect to apply an emissions averaging plan according to Paragraph (c) of this Rule. An emission averaging plan may be used if the total NOx emissions from the averaged set of sources based on the total heat input are equal to or less than the NOx emissions that would have occurred if each source complied with the applicable limitation.
(c) To request approval of an emissions averaging plan to comply with the requirements of this Section, the owner or operator of a facility shall submit a written request to the Director including the following information:
(1) the name and location of the facility;
(2) information identifying each source to be included under the averaging plan;
(3) the maximum heat input rate for each source;
(4) the fuel or fuels combusted in each source;
(5) the maximum allowable NOx emission rate proposed for each averaging source;
(6) a demonstration that the nitrogen oxide emissions of the sources being averaged when operated together at the maximum daily heat input rate, will be less than or equal to the total NOx emissions if each source complied with the applicable limitation of this Section individually;
(7) an operational plan to provide reasonable assurance that the sources being averaged will satisfy Subparagraph (5) of this Paragraph when the combined maximum daily heat input rate is less than the permitted maximum heat input rate; and
(8) the method to be used to determine the actual NOx emissions from each source.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-215.3(a)(1); 143-215.65; 143-215.107(a)(5), (7), (10);
Eff. April 1, 1995;
Temporary Amendment Eff. August 1, 2001; November 1, 2000;
Amended Eff. July 18, 2002;
Temporary Amendment Eff. December 31, 2008(this amendment replaces the amendment approved by RRC on May 15, 2008);
Amended Eff. September 29, 2009(amendment approved by RRC on May 15, 2008).