15A NCAC 02D .1703 EMISSION STANDARDS
(a) Any MSW landfill subject to this Section and meeting the following two conditions shall meet the gas collection and control requirements of Paragraph (b) of this Rule:
(1) The landfill has a design capacity greater than or equal to 2.75 million tons and 2.5 million cubic meters. The owner or operator of the landfill may calculate the design capacity in either tons or cubic meters for comparison with the exemption values. Any density conversion shall be documented and submitted along with the initial reporting requirements of Rule .1708(a) of this Section; and
(2) The landfill has a non-methane organic compound (NMOC) emission rate of 55 tons per year or more. The NMOC emission rate shall be calculated by following the procedures outlined in 40 CFR 60.754.
(b) Each owner or operator of a MSW landfill meeting the conditions of Paragraph (a) of this Rule shall:
(1) submit to the Director a site-specific design plan for the gas collection and control system that meets the requirements of 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(i);
(2) install a gas collection system that meets the requirements of 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(ii); and
(3) control the collected emissions of MSW landfill gas through the use of one or more of the following control devices:
(A) An open flare designed and operated in accordance with the parameters established in 40 CFR 60.18;
(B) A control system designed and operated to reduce NMOC by 98 weight percent; or
(C) An enclosed combustor designed and operated to reduce the outlet NMOC concentration to 20 parts per million as hexane by volume, on a dry basis at three percent oxygen, or less.
(c) The gas collection and control system required under Paragraph (b) of this Rule may be capped or removed provided that all the conditions of 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(v)(A), (B) and (C) are met.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-215.3(a)(1); 143-215.107(a)(5),(10);
Eff. July 1, 1998;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2000.