15A NCAC 02E .0609 LOCAL GOVERNMENT WATER SHORTAGE RESPONSE PLANNING REQUIREMENTS
(a) Units of local government that provide water to the public shall meet the requirements of Rule .0607(a).
(b) Units of local government that do not provide water to the public shall:
(1) Review normal water use for the types and number of facilities operated to identify options to reduce water use and maximize water use efficiency by local government operations during water shortage emergencies, including possible changes to normal operating procedures;
(2) Cooperate with local water purveyor(s) on the development and implementation of the purveyor's Water Shortage Response Plan(s);
(3) Establish a procedure for informing citizens of drought designations, recommended conservation activities and mandatory response measures to reduce water use during droughts and water shortage emergencies;
(4) Provide a mechanism whereby residents can apply for and receive a variance from specific water use reduction requirements implemented by local governments;
(5) Consider disproportionate hardships that water shortage response policies and ordinances may cause water users who have already made improvements to maximize water use efficiency in their daily operations; and
(6) Evaluate the feasibility of reclaiming and recycling water to meet water needs.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-354(a)(1); S.L. 2002-167;
Eff. March 19, 2007.