15A NCAC 02H .0150 DEFINITIONS: npdes MS4 sTORMWATER
Federal definitions for NPDES discharges at 40 C.F.R. 122.2 and 122.26(b)(1 July 2015 Edition) are incorporated herein by reference, not including subsequent amendments and editions. These federal regulations may be accessed at no cost at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/. The definition of any word or phrase used in the NPDES municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) stormwater program shall be the same as given in Article 21, Chapter 143 of the General Statutes of North Carolina, as amended, and Rule .1002 of this Subchapter. Other words and phrases are defined as follows:
(1) "Division" means the Division of Energy, Mineral, and Land Resources in the Department.
(2) "MS4" means municipal separate storm sewer system.
(3) "Planning jurisdiction" means the territorial jurisdiction within which a municipality exercises the powers authorized by Article 19 of Chapter 160A of the General Statutes, or a county exercises the powers authorized by Article 18 of Chapter 153A of the General Statutes.
(4) "Public entity" means the United States, the State, a city, village, township, county, school district, public college or university, single-purpose governmental agency, or any other governing body that is created by federal or State law.
(5) "Regulated entity" means any public entity that must obtain a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit for stormwater management for its municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4).
(6) "Sensitive receiving waters" means any of the following:
(a) waters that are classified as high quality, outstanding resource, shellfish, trout, or nutrient sensitive waters in accordance with 15A NCAC 02B .0101, 15A NCAC 02B .0200, and 15A NCAC 02B .0301;
(b) waters that are occupied by or designated as critical habitat for aquatic animal species that are listed as threatened or endangered by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or the National Marine Fisheries Service under the provisions of the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (Pub. L. No. 93-205; 87 Stat. 884; 16 U.S.C. 1531, et seq.), as amended; or
(c) waters for which the "best usage," as described by the classification system set forth in 15A NCAC 02B .0101, 15A NCAC 02B .0200, and 15A NCAC 02B .0301 have been determined to be impaired in accordance with the requirements of subsection (d) of 33 U.S.C. 1313, which is incorporated herein by reference, not including subsequent amendments and editions. This federal code may be accessed at no cost at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/.
(7) "Significant contributor of pollutants" means a municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) or a discharge that contributes to the pollutant loading of a water body or that destabilizes the physical structure of a water body such that the contribution to pollutant loading or the destabilization may reasonably be expected to have an "adverse impact," as that term is defined in 15A NCAC 02H Rule .1002 of this Subchapter, on the quality and best usage of the water body. "Best usage" of a water body shall be determined pursuant to 15A NCAC 02B .0211 through 15A NCAC 02B .0222 and 15A NCAC 02B .0300.
(8) "Total maximum daily load (TMDL) implementation plan" means a written, quantitative plan, and analysis for attaining and maintaining water quality standards in all seasons for a specific water body and pollutant.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-213; 143-214.1; 143-214.7; 143-215.3(a)(1); S.L. 2006-246;
Eff. July 3, 2012;
Readopted Eff. January 1, 2017.