15A NCAC 02H .0803 DEFINITIONS
The following terms as used in this Section shall have the assigned meaning:
(1) "Analytical chemistry experience" means experience analyzing samples in a chemistry laboratory or supervising a chemistry laboratory that analyzes samples.
(2) "Certification" means a declaration by the state that the personnel, equipment, records, quality control procedures, and methodology cited by the applicant are accurate and that the applicant's proficiency has been considered and found to be acceptable pursuant to these Rules.
(3) "Certified Data" shall be defined as any analytical result, including the supporting documentation, obtained through the use of a method or procedure which has been deemed acceptable by the State of North Carolina for Laboratory Certification purposes pursuant to these Rules.
(4) "Commercial Laboratory" means any laboratory, including its agents or employees, which is seeking to analyze or is analyzing samples, including Field Parameters, for others for a fee.
(5) "Decertification" means loss of certification.
(6) "Falsified data or information" means data or information which has been made untrue by alteration, fabrication, omission, substitution, or mischaracterization. The agency need not prove intent to defraud to prove data is falsified.
(7) "Field Parameters", for the purpose of these Rules shall include Total Residual Chlorine, Conductivity, Dissolved Oxygen, pH, Settleable Residue, and Temperature.
(8) "Inaccurate data or other information" means data or information that is in any way incorrect, or mistaken.
(9) "Industrial Laboratory" means a laboratory, including its agents or employees, operated by an industry to analyze samples, including Field Parameters, from its wastewater or wastewater from its water treatment plant(s).
(10) "Municipal Laboratory" means a laboratory, including its agents or employees, operated by a municipality or other local government to analyze samples, including Field Parameters, from its wastewater or wastewater from its water treatment plant(s).
(11) "Other" laboratory means a facility that does not require laboratory certification as part of its routine operation and does not analyze samples for a fee, or is doing business as a non-profit facility.
(12) "Pretreatment Program" means a program of waste pretreatment requirements set up in accordance with 15A NCAC 02H .0900 and approved by the Division of Water Quality.
(13) "State" means the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources, or its successor.
(14) "State Laboratory" means the Laboratory Section of the North Carolina Division of Water Quality, or its successor.
(15) "Unacceptable results" means those results on performance evaluation samples that exceed the specified acceptable range as indicated by a US EPA accredited vendor.
(16) "Uncertified data" shall be defined as any analytical result, including the supporting documentation, obtained using a method or procedure which is not acceptable to the State Laboratory pursuant to these Rules.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143‑215.3(a)(1); 143‑215.3(a)(10);
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Amended Eff. November 2, 1992; December 1, 1984; November 1, 1978;
Temporary Amendment Eff. October 1, 2001;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2002.