15A NCAC 02H .0906 SUBMISSION FOR PRETREATMENT pROGRAM APPROVAL
(a) Except where in conflict with any part of this Section, the regulations regarding the contents of pretreatment programs submitted for approval and the contents of a request to revise national categorical pretreatment standards, promulgated by the Environmental Protection Agency and codified as 40 CFR Part 403.9 are hereby incorporated by reference including any subsequent amendments and editions. This material is available for inspection at the locations listed in Rule .0901 of this Section and at http://cfpub1.epa.gov/npdes/home.cfm?program_id=3.
(b) In addition to the contents of a control authority pretreatment program submission described in Paragraph (a) of this Rule, the program submission shall contain:
(1) a sewer use ordinance (SUO) providing the legal authority for implementing the pretreatment program, along with an attorney's statement, as required by 40 CFR Part 403.8 (f)(1) and Rule .0905 of this Section. Where the control authority accepts wastewater from one or more satellite POTWs and is the control authority within the satellite POTW's service area, the attorney's statement for that control authority shall document the interlocal agreements (ILAs) authorized by G.S. 153A-278 and 160A-460 et seq and SUO sections that establish the control authority's authority for regulation within all satellite POTW services areas which are tributary to the control authority's POTW. Where a satellite POTW serves as the control authority within its service area, the attorney's statement for that control authority shall document the ILAs and SUO sections that establish the satellite POTW's authority for regulation within its service area and the requirements for the satellite POTW to implement its pretreatment program in accordance with the downstream POTW's SUO and the ILA. In either case, where the POTW organizations have other written procedures to outline responsibilities not covered by the ILA or SUO, the applicable attorney's statements shall also include documentation of these procedures and the source of their enforceability;
(2) an industrial waste survey (IWS), or industrial user survey, as defined in Subparagraph (13) of Rule .0905(b) of this Section;
(3) a monitoring plan to provide POTW site-specific data for the HWA and subsequent technical evaluations of local limits to satisfy the requirements of 40 CFR Part 122.21(j). Modified pretreatment programs developed under Rule .0904(b) of this Section shall be allowed to implement a short term monitoring plan (STMP);
(4) a headworks analysis (HWA) and supporting documentation, including POTW site-specific and relevant literature data, upon which to base industrial user-specific effluent limits and other local limits for prohibited pollutants (as defined in 40 CFR Parts 403.5(a) and (b) and Rule .0909 of this Section);
(5) a compliance monitoring program, including inspection, sampling, equipment, and other compliance procedures, which will implement the requirements of 40 CFR Parts 403.8(f) and 403.12, and Rules .0905 and .0908 of this Section;
(6) draft industrial user pretreatment permits for significant industrial users as required by 40 CFR Parts 403.8(f)(1)(iii) and 403.9(b)(1)(ii) and Rule .0916 of this Section, and supporting documentation outlined in Rules .0916 and.0917 of this Section;
(7) procedures for approving the construction of pretreatment facilities by industrial users and for permitting industrial users for construction, operation and discharge as required by G.S. 143-215.1; procedures for approving construction shall include issuance of authorization to construct, as appropriate;
(8) an enforcement response plan (ERP) as required by 40 CFR Parts 403.8(f)(5) and 403.9(b)(1)(ii) for identifying violations of and enforcing specific local limits and other pretreatment requirements as required by and specified in 40 CFR Parts 403.5 and 403.6 and Rules .0909 and .0910 of this Section;
(9) a brief description (including organization charts) of the control authority which will administer the pretreatment program. Where more than one POTW organization is involved in the POTW wastewater collections or treatment system, the description shall address all the agencies, including identification of which party will receive Industrial User applications for new and changed discharges and how the parties will communicate on significant industrial user determinations;
(10) a description of funding levels and full- and part-time manpower available to implement the program;
(11) a description of data management procedures for compiling and managing compliance, LTMP/STMP, and any other pretreatment-related monitoring data, including documentation of approval of electronic reporting procedures as required under 40 CFR Part 3 if applicable; and
(12) a request for pretreatment program approval as required by 40 CFR Part 403.9 and this Section.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143‑215.1(a); 143‑215.1(b); 143‑215.3(a)(1); 143‑215.3(a)(14); 150B‑21.6;
Eff. March 28, 1980;
Amended Eff. April 1, 2011; November 1, 1994; October 1, 1987; December 1, 1984.