SECTION .1200 – coal combustion products MANAGEMENT
15A NCAC 02T .1201 SCOPE
(a) This Section shall apply to the treatment, storage, transportation, and beneficial reuse of coal combustion products (CCPs) that meet the definition of wastewater treatment residuals. This Section shall not regulate the treatment, storage, transportation, use, or disposal of:
(1) CCPs that are not generated from a wastewater treatment facility;
(2) CCPs that are transported out of state for treatment, storage, use, or disposal; and
(3) CCPs that are used for structural fill.
(b) CCPs may be distributed for the following uses:
(1) fuel for combustion for energy recovery in equipment such as boilers and furnaces;
(2) material for manufacturing concrete products, asphalt products, brick products, lightweight aggregate, roofing materials, insulation products, plastics, paints, bowling balls, cosmetics, and other manufactured products in which the CCPs are encapsulated in the manufactured product;
(3) daily, intermediate, and final cover as well as any other use at a landfill as approved by the Division of Waste Management;
(4) material for traction control during snow and ice events;
(5) substitute for blasting grit, roofing granules, and filter cloth precoat for residuals dewatering;
(6) flowable fill for backfill of trenches for potable water mains as approved by the Division of Environmental Health, sanitary sewers, storm drainage structures, and other similar uses where flowable fill is used in lieu of compacted soil;
(7) raw product for the stabilization of residuals;
(8) soil nutrient additive, amendment, or other agricultural purpose;
(9) overlay for roads, residential driveways, farm roads, and high-traffic farm areas; or
(10) bedding for pipes, railroad beds, and underground storage tanks.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-215.1; 143-215.3(a);
Eff. September 1, 2006;
Readopted Eff. September 1, 2018.