15A NCAC 03J .0105 PURSE SEINES
(a) It is unlawful to use purse seines except for the taking of menhaden, Atlantic thread herring, gizzard shad or pinfish, as further restricted by Paragraphs (b) and (c) of this Rule.
(b) It is unlawful to take menhaden, Atlantic thread herring, gizzard shad or pinfish with a purse seine in violation of any of the following limitations:
(1) In the Atlantic Ocean during the periods and within an area described:
(A) In 15A NCAC 03R .0111, and
(B) By Session Law 2007-320.
(2) Except as provided in Subparagraph (5) of this Paragraph, between January 16 and May 14 in:
(A) Internal waters, and
(B) Atlantic Ocean within one mile of shore.
(3) Between January 16 and March 31 in Core Sound.
(4) In internal waters except in:
(A) Pamlico Sound,
(B) Pamlico River east of a line from Wades Point to Intracoastal Waterway Marker No. 1 at the mouth of Goose Creek,
(C) Neuse River east of a line from Wilkinson Point to Cherry Point,
(D) Adams Creek,
(E) Core Sound and its tributaries,
(F) Back Sound, the Straits, and North river,
(G) Newport River,
(H) North River, and
(I) Bogue Sound.
(5) The Fisheries Director may, by proclamation, open the Atlantic Ocean within one mile of shore and the internal waters specified in Subparagraph (4) of this Paragraph between April 1 and May 14, and may impose any or all of the following restrictions:
(A) Specify means and methods by area which may be employed in the taking;
(B) Limit the quantity; and
(C) Require submission of statistical and biological data.
(c) Menhaden, Atlantic thread herring, gizzard shad or pinfish may be taken at any time with a purse seine from beyond one mile of shore in the Atlantic Ocean and transported to port except as specified by Session Law 2007-320 and except as prohibited below:
(1) It is unlawful to take menhaden, Atlantic thread herring, gizzard shad or pinfish by use of a purse seine between sunset on any Friday and sunrise of the following Monday from the Friday of the Memorial Day weekend through sunset on Labor Day each year.
(2) It is unlawful to take menhaden, Atlantic thread herring, gizzard shad or pinfish by use of a purse seine between the hours of sunrise and sunset on the following holidays:
(A) Memorial Day;
(B) Fourth of July, when the Fourth of July falls on any calendar day Friday through Monday; and
(C) Labor Day.
(d) It is unlawful for the responsible party to fail to carry out the following requirements when a fish spill from a purse seine occurs:
(1) Immediately notify the office of the Fisheries Director of the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries of such spill; and
(2) Report to the Fisheries Director of the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries in writing within 30 days of the completion of spill clean-up on the circumstances associated with each spill and costs of its clean-up.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113‑134; 113‑182; 113-221.1; 143B‑289.52;
Eff. January 1, 1991;
Amended Eff. October 1, 2008.