SECTION .0400 ‑ FISHING GEAR
15A NCAC 03J .0401 FISHING GEAR
(a) The Fisheries Director in order to address issues involving user conflicts may, by proclamation, close the areas described in Paragraph (b) of this Rule to the use of specific fishing gear.
(b) It is unlawful to use fishing gear as specified by proclamation at the time and dates specified in the proclamation between the Friday before Easter through December 31 in the following areas when such areas have been closed by proclamation:
(1) All or part of the Atlantic Ocean, up to one‑half mile from the beach;
(2) Up to one-half mile in all directions of Oregon Inlet;
(3) Up to one‑half mile in all directions of Hatteras Inlet;
(4) Up to one-half mile in all directions of Ocracoke Inlet;
(5) Up to one‑half mile of the Cape Lookout Rock Jetty;
(6) Up to one-half mile in all directions of fishing piers open to the public;
(7) Up to one‑half mile in all directions of State Parks;
(8) Up to one-half mile of marinas as defined by the Coastal Resources Commission.
(c) The Fisheries Director shall specify in the proclamation the boundaries of the closure through the use of maps, legal descriptions, prominent landmarks or other permanent type markers.
(d) The Fisheries Director shall hold a public meeting in the affected area before issuance of proclamations authorized by this Rule.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113‑133; 113‑134; 113‑182; 113‑221; 143B‑289.52;
Eff. July 1, 1993;
Amended Eff. June 1, 1996; March 1, 1995; October 1, 1993.