15A NCAC 03K .0110 PUBLIC HEALTH AND Control of Oysters, clams, SCALLOPS, and mussels
(a) The National Shellfish Sanitation Program Guide for Control of Molluscan Shellfish, Section II: Model Ordinance (Model Ordinance) includes requirements for the sale or distribution of shellfish from approved areas or shellstock dealers, as defined in 15A NCAC 18A .0301, and to ensure that shellfish have not been adulterated or mislabeled during cultivation, harvesting, processing, storage, or transport. To protect public health, the Fisheries Director may, by proclamation, impose requirements of the Model Ordinance as set forth in Paragraph (b) of this Rule on any of the following:
(1) the cultivation, distribution, harvesting, processing, sale, storage, or transport of
(C) scallops; or
(2) areas used to store shellfish;
(3) means and methods to take shellfish;
(4) vessels used to take shellfish; or
(5) shellstock conveyances as defined in 15A NCAC 18A .0301.
(b) Proclamations issued under this Rule may impose any of the following requirements:
(1) specify time and temperature controls;
(2) specify sanitation requirements to prevent a food safety hazard, as defined in 15A NCAC 18A .0301, or cross-contamination or adulteration of shellfish;
(3) specify sanitation control procedures set forth in 21 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 123.11;
(4) specify Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) requirements set forth in 21 CFR Part:
(A) 123.3 Definitions;
(B) 123.6 HACCP Plan;
(C) 123.7 Corrective Actions;
(D) 123.8 Verification;
(E) 123.9 Records; and
(F) 123.28 Source Controls;
(5) specify tagging and labeling requirements;
(6) implement the National Shellfish Sanitation Program's training requirements for shellfish harvesters and certified shellfish dealers;
(7) require sales records and collection and submission of information to provide a mechanism for tracing shellfish product back to the water body of origin; and
(8) require product recall and specify recall procedures.
21 CFR 123.3, 123.6-9, 123.11, and 123.28 are hereby incorporated by reference, including subsequent amendments and editions. A copy of the reference materials can be found at http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=f4cdd666e75f54ccda1d9938f4edd9ab&mc=true&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title21/21tab_02.tpl, free of charge.
(c) Proclamations issued under this Rule shall suspend appropriate rules or portions of rules under the authority of the Marine Fisheries Commission as specified in the proclamation. The provisions of 15A NCAC 03I .0102 terminating suspension of a rule pending the next Marine Fisheries Commission meeting and requiring review by the Marine Fisheries Commission at the next meeting shall not apply to proclamations issued under this Rule.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113-134; 113-182; 113-201; 113-221.1; 113-221.2; 143B-289.52;
Eff. April 1, 2014;
Amended Eff. May 1, 2017.