15A NCAC 03o .0208 TERMINATION OF SHELLFISH bottom LEASES AND FRANCHISES AND WATER COLUMN LEASES
(a) Procedures for termination of shellfish leaseholds are provided in G.S. 113-202. An appeal of the Secretary's decision to terminate a leasehold is governed by G.S. 150B-23.
(b) Substantial breach of compliance with the provisions of rules of the Marine Fisheries Commission governing use of the leasehold includes the following, except as provided in Paragraph (c) of this Rule:
(1) failure to meet shellfish production and marketing requirements for bottom leases or franchises in accordance with Rule .0201 of this Section;
(2) failure to maintain a planting effort of cultch or seed shellfish for bottom leases or franchises in accordance with Rule .0201 of this Section;
(3) failure either to meet shellfish production and marketing requirements or to maintain a planting effort of cultch or seed shellfish for water column leases in accordance with Rule .0201 of this Section;
(4) the Fisheries Director has cause to believe the holder of private shellfish bottom or franchise rights has encroached or usurped the legal rights of the public to access public trust resources in navigable waters, in accordance with G.S. 113-205 and Rule .0204 of this Section; and
(5) the Attorney General initiates action for the purpose of vacating or annulling letters patent granted by the State, in accordance with G.S. 146-63.
(c) Consistent with G.S. 113-202(l1) and G.S. 113-201(b), a leaseholder that failed to meet requirements in G.S. 113-202, Rule .0201 of this Section or this Rule may be granted a single extension period of no more than two years per contract period upon a showing of hardship by written notice to the Fisheries Director prior to the expiration of the lease term that one of the following occurrences caused or will cause the leaseholder to fail to meet lease requirements:
(1) death, illness, or incapacity of the leaseholder or his immediate family as defined in G.S. 113-168 that prevented or will prevent the leaseholder from working the lease;
(2) damage to the lease from hurricanes, tropical storms, or other severe weather events recognized by the National Weather Service;
(3) shellfish mortality caused by disease, natural predators, or parasites; or
(4) damage to the lease from a manmade disaster that triggers a state emergency declaration or federal emergency declaration.
(d) In the case of hardship as described in Subparagraph (c)(1) of this Rule, the notice shall state the name of the leaseholder or immediate family member and either the date of death or the date and nature of the illness or incapacity. Written notice and supporting documentation shall be addressed to the Director of the Division of Marine Fisheries, 3441 Arendell St., P.O. Box 769, Morehead City, NC 28557.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113‑134; 113‑201; 113‑202; 113‑202.1; 113‑202.2; 113-205; 143B‑289.52;
Eff. January 1, 1991;
Amended Eff. May 1, 1997; March 1, 1995; March 1, 1994; October 1, 1992; September 1, 1991;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 1, 2002; October 1, 2001;
Amended Eff. May 1, 2017; April 1, 2003.