15A NCAC 05H .1608 WELL INSTALLATION FOR CONDUCTOR CASING
(a) Conductor casing design and setting depth shall be based on the geological conditions at the wellbore location, including the presence or absence of hydrocarbons and potential drilling hazards.
(b) Conductor casing shall be cemented from bottom to top, with return to the surface. If cement does not return to the surface, the permittee shall consult with and obtain approval from the Department to determine the appropriate method to emplace cement.
(c) Conductor casing shall:
(1) stabilize unconsolidated sediments;
(2) isolate and seal off shallow groundwater zones;
(3) isolate any shallow drilling hazards, hydrocarbon bearing zones, or coal formations;
(4) provide a stable platform for oil or gas well construction; and
(5) provide solid structural anchorage for a diverter system in air drilling operations.
(d) A mechanical or cement seal shall be installed at the surface to block downward migration of surface pollutants.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113-391(a)(5)c;
Eff. March 17, 2015.