(a) Any surface owner or owner of a water supply who suspects contamination as a result of the drilling, alteration, or operation of an oil or gas well may submit Form 21 – Water Supply Investigation Request to the Department, requesting that an investigation be conducted. The Form 21 – Water Supply Investigation Report can be found in Rule .0201(a) in this Subchapter and shall be sent to the Department in accordance with Rule .0201(c) in this Subchapter. The completed form shall include the following information:
(1) the name of surface owner or owner of the water supply, address, telephone number, and email address;
(2) the name of the oil or gas well permittee, if known;
(3) the API number, the lease name, and the oil or gas well name and number, if known;
(4) an indication if the individual contacted the permittee, and if so, the name of the person contacted;
(5) the date of incident, if known; and
(6) a description of the incident or problem.
(b) Upon the receipt of a Form 21 – Water Supply Investigation Report, the Department shall require the permittee to pay for a test to be conducted on the water supply and submit the analytical results to the Department in accordance with Rules .1803(f) and .1805 of this Section.
(c) The permittee shall replace a water supply pursuant to G.S. 113-421(a5) if the investigation and analytical results indicate that the water supply is contaminated due to the activities of the permittee.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113-391(a)(3); 113-391(a)(4); 113-391(a)(5)b; 113-391(a)(14); 113-423(f);
Eff. March 17, 2015.