15A NCAC 07J .0102 GENERAL DEFINITIONS
The following definitions apply whenever these words are used in this Subchapter:
(1) "Areas of Environmental Concern" (AECs) means geographic areas within the coastal area which the Coastal Resources Commission chooses to designate for special environmental and land use regulations. The types of areas which may be designated as AECs are described in G.S. 113A‑113. Areas which have already been designated are defined in 15A NCAC 7H, "State Guidelines for Areas of Environmental Concern."
(2) "Department" (DENR) means the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
(3) "Excavation Project" means any moving, digging, or exposing of bottom materials, marshland substrate or root or rhizome matter in the estuarine waters, tidelands, marshlands and state‑owned lakes, regardless of the equipment or method used.
(4) "Filling Project" means the placing of any materials in estuarine waters, tidelands, marshlands and state‑owned lakes so as to raise the elevation of the area upon which the material is placed. Structure placement does not constitute a filling or excavation project. The placement of shell material specifically for the purpose of oyster culture also shall not be considered a filling project.
(5) "Local Management Program" means the local implementation and enforcement program of a coastal city or county that has undertaken to administer a permit program for minor development in areas of environmental concern located within such city or county.
(6) "Local Permit Officer" refers to the locally designated official who will administer and enforce the minor development permit program in areas of environmental concern and all parts of the land use plan which the local government may wish to enforce over the entire planning area.
(7) "Division" means the Division of Coastal Management.
(8) "Permit" refers to CAMA major development permits, CAMA minor development permits and dredge and fill permits unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
(9) "Secretary" refers to the Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113‑229; 113A‑116; 113A‑117; 113A‑118;
Eff. March 15, 1978;
Amended Eff. June 1, 2006; April 1, 1997; May 1, 1990; November 1, 1984.