15A NCAC 07M .0307 ELIGIBILITY, SELECTION CRITERIA AND MATCHING REQUIREMENTS
(a) Any local government in the 20 coastal county region having ocean beaches or estuarine or public trust waters within its jurisdiction may apply for access funds for the development of beach or coastal waterfront access facilities with associated improvements. Boat ramps, canoe/kayak launch areas may also be developed provided that the access facilities incorporate pedestrian access to coastal waters.
(b) Eligible projects include:
(1) Land acquisition, including acquisition of unbuildable lots;
(2) Local Access Sites;
(3) Neighborhood Access Sites or improvements;
(4) Regional Access Sites or improvements;
(5) Multi-regional Access Sites or improvements;
(6) Urban waterfront development access projects;
(7) Reconstruction or relocation of existing, damaged facilities;
(8) Reconstruction or replacement of aging facilities; and
(9) Offsite parking areas servicing access sites within the local government's jurisdiction.
(c) The following criteria shall be used to select projects that may receive financial assistance:
(1) Applicant demonstrates a need for the project due to a high demand for public access and limited availability;
(2) Project is identified in the local land use plan or local access plan;
(3) Applicant has not received previous assistance from this grant program or the applicant has received assistance and demonstrated its ability to complete previous projects successfully with funds from this grant program;
(4) Applicant's commitment of matching funds exceeds the required local share of the total project cost provided in Paragraphs (d) and (e) of this Rule;
(5) Project proposal includes multiple funding sources;
(6) The project location includes donated land deemed unbuildable due to regulations or physical limitations;
(d) The North Carolina Department of Commerce's Tier designations, as outlined by the Lee Act (G.S. 105-129.3) shall be used to determine the economic status of counties. Land acquisition, including acquisition of unbuildable lots, shall include a local government contribution of at least 15 percent of the acquisition cost, except for Tier 1 and Tier 2 counties as designated by the N.C. Department of Commerce, and their respective municipalities which shall have a contribution of at least 10 percent. At least one-half of the local contribution shall be cash match, the remainder may be in-kind match.
(e) Local government contributions for access site improvements shall be at least 25 percent of the project costs, except for Tier 1 and Tier 2 designated counties and their respective municipalities which shall have a local government contribution of at least 10 percent of the project costs. At least one half of the local contribution shall be cash match; the remainder may be in-kind match.
(f) Federal and other State funds may be used as the local government cash contribution, provided such funds are not already being used as matching funds for other state programs.
(g) Multi-phase projects and previous contingency projects shall be considered on their own merits within the pool of applications being reviewed in any year.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113A-124; 113A-134.3;
Eff. January 1, 1998;
Amended Eff. February 1, 2009; September 1, 2007; August 1, 2000.