15A NCAC 10B .0202 BEAR
(a) Open Seasons for hunting bear shall be from the:
(1) Monday on or nearest October 15 to the Saturday before Thanksgiving and the third Monday after Thanksgiving to January 1 in and west of Surry, Wilkes, Caldwell, Burke, and Cleveland counties.
(2) Second Monday in November to January 1 in Bladen, Brunswick, Carteret, Columbus, Cumberland, Duplin, New Hanover, Onslow, Pamlico, Pender, and Sampson counties.
(3) First Monday in December to the third Saturday thereafter in Robeson County.
(4) Second Monday in November to the following Saturday and the third Monday after Thanksgiving to the fifth Saturday after Thanksgiving in Beaufort, Camden, Chowan, Craven, Dare, Edgecombe, Greene, Halifax, Hyde, Jones, Lenoir, Martin, Nash, Northampton, Pasquotank, Pitt, Tyrrell, Washington, Wayne, and Wilson counties.
(5) Saturday preceding the second Monday in November to the following Saturday and the third Monday after Thanksgiving to the fifth Saturday after Thanksgiving in Bertie, Currituck, Gates, Hertford, and Perquimans counties.
(6) Concurrent with the open season for all lawful weapons for hunting deer as specified in 15A NCAC 10B .0203(a)(1) in Alamance, Alexander, Anson, Cabarrus, Caswell, Catawba, Chatham, Davie, Davidson, Durham, Franklin, Forsyth, Gaston, Granville, Guilford, Harnett, Hoke, Iredell, Johnston, Lee, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Montgomery, Moore, Orange, Person, Randolph, Richmond, Rockingham, Rowan, Scotland, Stanly, Stokes, Union, Vance, Wake, Warren, and Yadkin counties.
(1) For purposes of this Paragraph, "bait" means any natural, unprocessed food product that is a grain, fruit, nut, vegetable, or other material harvested from a plant crop that is not modified from its raw components.
(2) Bears shall not be taken with the use or aid of:
(A) any processed food product as defined in G.S. 113-294(r), any animal, animal part or product, salt, salt lick, honey, sugar, sugar-based material, syrups, candy, pastry, gum, candy block, oils, spices, peanut butter, or grease;
(B) any extracts of substances identified in Part (A) of this Subparagraph;
(C) any substances modified by substances identified in Part (A) of this Subparagraph, including any extracts of those substances; or
(D) any bear bait attractant, including sprays, aerosols, scent balls, and scent powders.
(3) Bears may be taken with the aid of bait from the Monday on or nearest October 15 to the Saturday before Thanksgiving in the counties in Subparagraph (a)(1) of this Rule.
(4) Bears may be taken with the aid of bait during the entire open season in the counties identified in Subparagraphs (a)(2) through (a)(6) of this Rule.
(5) Bears shall not be taken while in the act of consuming bait.
(6) Hunters shall not take bears using dogs in the following counties: Alamance south of Interstate 85, Anson west of N.C. Hwy 742, Cabarrus, Chatham, Davie, Davidson, Franklin, Forsyth, Gaston, Guilford, Lee, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Montgomery, Orange south of Interstate 85, Randolph, Rockingham, Rowan, Stanly, Union, and Wake south of N.C. Hwy 98. In all other counties and parts of counties, hunters may take bears using dogs and may release dogs in the vicinity of bait.
(c) No Open Season. There is no open season in those parts of counties included in the following posted bear sanctuaries:
Avery, Burke, and Caldwell counties--Daniel Boone bear sanctuary except by permit only
Beaufort, Bertie, and Washington counties--Bachelor Bay bear sanctuary
Bladen County--Suggs Mill Pond bear sanctuary
Brunswick and Columbus counties--Green Swamp bear sanctuary
Buncombe, Haywood, Henderson, and Transylvania counties--Pisgah bear sanctuary
Carteret, Craven, and Jones counties--Croatan bear sanctuary
Clay County--Fires Creek bear sanctuary
Columbus County--Columbus County bear sanctuary
Currituck County--North River bear sanctuary
Dare County--Bombing Range bear sanctuary except by permit only
Haywood County--Harmon Den bear sanctuary
Haywood County--Sherwood bear sanctuary
Hyde County--Gull Rock bear sanctuary
Hyde County--Pungo River bear sanctuary
Jackson County--Panthertown-Bonas Defeat bear sanctuary
Macon County--Standing Indian bear sanctuary
Macon County--Wayah bear sanctuary
Madison County--Rich Mountain bear sanctuary
McDowell and Yancey counties--Mt. Mitchell bear sanctuary except by permit only
Mitchell and Yancey counties--Flat Top bear sanctuary
Wilkes County--Thurmond Chatham bear sanctuary
(d) The daily bag limit is one, the possession limit is one, and the season limit is one.
(e) Kill Reports. The carcass of each bear shall be reported as provided by 15A NCAC 10B .0113.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113-134; 113-291.1; 113-291.2; 113-291.7; 113-305;
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Amended Eff. July 1, 1998; September 1, 1995; July 1, 1995; July 1, 1994; April 14, 1992;
Temporary Amendment Eff. July 1, 1999;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2000;
Temporary Amendment Eff. July 1, 2002;
Amendment Eff. August 1, 2002;
Temporary Amendment Eff. September 1, 2003;
Temporary Amendment Expired Eff. December 27, 2003;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2015; August 1, 2014; August 1, 2012; August 1, 2010; May 1, 2009; May 1, 2008; May 1, 2007; May 1, 2006; June 1, 2005;
Temporary Amendment Eff. May 31, 2016;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2017; August 1, 2016.