15A NCAC 10B .0303 OPEN SEASONS
(a) General. Following are the seasons for taking by trapping fur-bearing animals as defined in G.S. 113-129(7a), coyotes, armadillos, and groundhogs, all dates being inclusive:
(1) November 1 through the last day of February except for that part of the state described in Subparagraph (2) of this Paragraph.
(2) December 1 through the last day of February in and east of Hertford, Bertie, Martin, Pitt, Greene, Lenoir, Duplin, Pender and New Hanover counties.
(3) Trapping coyotes is allowed during times and with methods described by local laws in counties where local laws have established fox trapping seasons even when those seasons fall outside the regular trapping seasons described above.
(4) Nutria may be trapped east of I-77 at any time.
(b) Feral Swine. There is no closed season for trapping feral swine subject to the following restrictions:
(1) In addition to a hunting or trapping license, a permit issued by the Wildlife Resources Commission is required to trap feral swine. Individuals exempted from license requirements under the provisions specified in G.S. 113-276 may trap feral swine without a hunting or trapping license, but must acquire the permit.
(2) Feral swine may be live-trapped using only corral or box traps. Corral and box traps must be constructed in a manner such that a non-target animal can be easily released or can escape without harm. The permit number must be displayed on all traps.
(3) Feral swine must be euthanized while in the trap and may not be removed alive from any trap.
Note: See 15A NCAC 10D .0102(f) for other trapping restrictions on game lands.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113-134; 113-291.1; 113-291.2;
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Amended Eff. July 1, 1996; July 1, 1984; July 1, 1983; August 1, 1982; August 1, 1981;
Temporary Amendment Eff. July 1, 1999;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2000;
Temporary Amendment Eff. June 1, 2003;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2010; May 1, 2009; November 1, 2008; May 1, 2008; May 1, 2007; May 1, 2006; June 1, 2005; August 1, 2004;
Recodified from Rule 10B .0302 Eff. January 1, 2011;
Temporary Amendment Eff. December 29, 2011;
Amended Eff. November 1, 2012.