15A NCAC 10B .0305 TRAPS
(a) A steel-jaw or leghold trap set on dry land with a solid anchor shall not have a chain longer than eight inches unless the chain is fitted with a shock-absorbing device with at least 40 pounds and no more than 75 pounds of pressure to stretch or compress the device.
(b) A Collarum™-type trap shall:
(1) Have a cable that is 3/16th inch in diameter, a loop stop with a minimum loop diameter of three inches, a relaxing lock, and a breakaway device that has been tested to break or disassemble at no more than 285 pounds of pull.
(2) Have a set capture loop no less than 10 inches and no greater than 12 inches in diameter.
(3) Be equipped with at least one swivel device between the loop and the anchor.
(4) Be staked in a manner that does not allow the animal or the restraint device to reach any part of a fence or reach rooted, woody vegetation greater than ½ inch in diameter.
(5) Not be set using a drag or used with a kill pole.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113‑134; 113‑291.6;
Eff. May 1, 2007;
Recodified from Rule 10B .0304 Eff. January 1, 2011;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2011.