15A NCAC 10F .0104 CERTIFICATE OF NUMBER
(a) General. Upon receipt of a completed application, proof of ownership document, and applicable fee(s), the Wildlife Resources Commission shall issue to the applicant a certificate of number which shall authorize the operation of the vessel. The certificate of number shall be carried while operating the vessel and shall be presented for inspection to any law enforcement officer upon request. The certificate of number shall include the following information:
(1) name of owner(s), dealer or manufacturer;
(2) address, including zip code, of the primary owner(s), dealer or manufacturers;
(3) title indicator;
(4) certificate of number awarded to vessel;
(5) expiration date of the certificate of number;
(6) use of vessel (pleasure, livery, demonstration, commercial passenger, commercial fishing, other commercial; other);
(7) model of vessel (if known);
(8) manufacturer (if known);
(9) year of manufacture or model year (if known);
(10) manufacturer's hull identification number (if any);
(11) overall length of vessel;
(12) type of vessel (open, cabin, houseboat, personal watercraft, pontoon, other);
(13) hull material (wood, metal, fiberglass, plastic, inflatable, other);
(14) type of propulsion (inboard, outboard, inboard‑outdrive, sail, auxiliary sail/inboard, auxiliary sail/outboard, jet drive);
(15) type of fuel (gasoline, diesel, electric, other);
(16) notice to owner that he shall report within 30 days changes of address or ownership, and destruction or abandonment of vessel;
(17) signature of owner;
(18) notice to the owner that the operator shall:
(A) always carry this certificate on vessel when in use;
(B) report any accident involving injury or death to persons, or property damage more than two thousand dollars ($2,000.00);
(C) stop and render assistance if involved in boating accident.
(b) Livery Vessel Owners. The certificate of number awarded to a livery vessel shall be marked "livery vessel" and shall include the same information in Paragraph (a) of this Rule.
(c) Dealers and Manufacturers. The certificate of number awarded to dealers and manufacturers shall be marked "dealer" or "manufacturer" in lieu of the description of the vessel, motor and type of fuel. Any dealer or manufacturer demonstrating or testing a vessel may utilize a set of dealer's numbers and the corresponding dealer's certificate of number to operate any vessel held for sale, but only for demonstration or testing purposes. Vessels owned or possessed by dealers or manufacturers for personal use or for any use whatsoever other than for demonstration and testing purposes must be individually registered in the name of the dealer in accordance with Paragraph (a) of this Rule.
(d) Government agency. The certificate of number awarded to State or local government agencies shall be marked "permanent" and shall include the same information in Paragraph (a) of this Rule; however, there will be no title indicator or expiration date listed for permanent certificate of numbers.
(e) Commercial Fishing. The certificate of number awarded to a commercial fishing vessel shall be marked "commercial fishing" and shall include the same information in Paragraph (a) of this Rule.
(f) Commercial Passenger. The certificate of number awarded to a commercial passenger vessel shall be marked "commercial passenger" and shall include the same information in Paragraph (a) of this Rule.
(g) Vessel Registration Agents. In order to make certificates of number readily available throughout the State, vessel dealers, manufacturers, and other related businesses which operate from locations within North Carolina may be appointed as wildlife service agents of the Wildlife Resources Commission and authorized to issue temporary certificates of number for new registrations, transfers of ownership, renewal and duplicate transactions. All official certificates of numbers shall be processed and mailed from the Wildlife Resources Commission headquarters. Rules governing the appointment and operations of wildlife service agents are contained in 15A NCAC 10G .0400 Wildlife Service Agents.
History Note: Legislative Objection Lodged Eff. December 16, 1980;
Authority G.S. 75A‑3; 75A‑5; 75A‑7; 75A‑19; 33 C.F.R. 174.19;
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Amended Eff. May 1, 2007; July 1, 1998; April 1, 1997; July 1, 1988; August 31, 1980; January 1, 1980;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. December 6, 2016.