15A NCAC 10F .0353 MOUNTAIN ISLAND LAKE: MECKLENBURG, GASTON AND LINCOLN COUNTIES
(a) Regulated Area. This Rule applies to Mountain Island Lake, which is located in Mecklenburg, Gaston and Lincoln counties.
(1) Latta Plantation Park - The cove lying north of and adjacent to the Latta Plantation Park and adjacent to the Mecklenburg County Park and Duke Power Company properties.
(2) Duck Cove - The waters of Duck Cove as delineated by appropriate markers. Duck Cove is adjacent to Mecklenburg County's Cowan's Ford Wildlife Refuge and west of the portion of Neck Road that runs through Cowan's Ford Wildlife Refuge.
(3) Nance Cove:
(A) The waters of the southern portion of Nance Cove extending north from the back of the cove, at or near Shuffletown Landing, up the cove toward the main channel of Mountain Island Lake, extending to a point that is roughly even with the boundary line between Lots 166 and 167 in the Overlook subdivision, which lots are just north of the Overlook Swim & Tennis Club, and where the cove is approximately 368 feet wide.
(B) The waters of the western arm or sub-cove of Nance Cove, which lies west of Shadow Cove Lane and the northern-most portion of Nance Cove Road and east of Haymarket Road.
(4) North Carolina Highway 16 Bridge B - an area extending approximately 50 yards in all directions from the NC Highway 16 Bridge also known as the Rozelles Ferry Bridge.
(5) Neck Cove beginning at a point on the western shore at 35.367061N, 80.932632W to a point on the eastern shore at 35.367085N, 80.931129 and extending the entire length of the cove.
(6) Gar Creek east of a line from a point on the north shore at 35.348851N, 80.927461W to a point on the south shore at 35.348082N, 80.927736W to a line from a point on the north shore at 35.348854N, 80.926821W to a point on the south shore at 35.34844 N, 80.925803W.
(7) Whispering Cove beginning at a point on the western shore at 35.341223N, 80.975715W to a point on the eastern shore at 35.340806N, 80.974785W and extending the entire length of the cove.
(8) North Carolina Highway 73 Bridge - an area extending approximately 50 yards in all directions from the NC Highway 73 Bridge: east of a line from a point on the north shore at 35.428079N, 80.95799W to a point on the south shore at 35.427177N, 80.957424W to a line from a point on the north shore at 35.427845N, 80.955441W to a point on the south shore at 35.427008N, 80.955422W.
(b) Speed Limit. No person shall operate any motorboat or vessel at greater than no‑wake speed within the regulated area described in Paragraph (a) of this Rule.
(c) Placement and Maintenance of Markers. The Board of Commissioners for Mecklenburg County, for Gaston County and for Lincoln County are designated as suitable agencies for placement and maintenance of markers implementing this Rule for regulated areas within their territorial jurisdiction in accordance with the Uniform System.
History Note: Authority G.S. 75A‑3; 75A‑15;
Eff. May 1, 1988;
Temporary Amendment Eff. April 1, 2000;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2015; July 1, 2000.