15A NCAC 10F .0375 DUKE ENERGY CORPORATION HYDROELECTRIC STATION SAFETY ZONES
(a) Regulated Area. This Rule applies to the area one hundred feet upstream or downstream from the stations and dams (and associated structures, abutments and equipment of these stations and dams) listed in Paragraph (f) of this Rule.
(b) Fishing. Except as otherwise provided in this Paragraph or in Paragraph (c) of this Rule, no person may enter the waters within the regulated areas described in Paragraph (a) of this Rule. Persons engaged in fishing within the regulated areas described in Paragraph (a) of this Rule may enter these waters in connection with such fishing activities provided that they shall wear at all times a U.S. Coast Guard approved personal floatation device in serviceable condition and of appropriate size for the wearer.
(c) Boating. Any person in or upon a boat, raft or other floating object that enters into the regulated area described in Paragraph (a) of this Rule shall wear at all times a U.S. Coast Guard approved personal floatation device in serviceable condition and of appropriate size for the wearer. No vessel may tie off to any part of the dam structure or the accessory portions thereof within regulated areas described in Paragraph (a) of this Rule, or to anchor or otherwise secure a vessel in these areas.
(d) Paragraph (c) of this Rule does not apply to persons who enter with consent of Duke Energy Corporation for the purpose of maintaining, repairing or evaluating facilities of Duke Energy Corporation; law enforcement or emergency personnel; or North Carolina state employees acting in an official capacity.
(e) Placement and Maintenance of Markers. Duke Energy Corporation is designated as a suitable entity for placement and maintenance of buoys and other signs implementing this Rule.
(f) Duke Energy Corporation hydroelectric stations and dams affected by this Rule:
(1) Bridgewater Hydroelectric Station (Paddy Creek Dam, Linville Dam and Catawba Dam) in the Catawba River in Burke and McDowell counties;
(2) Cowans Ford Hydroelectric Station (Cowans Ford Dam) in the Catawba River in Lincoln and Mecklenburg counties;
(3) Lookout Hydroelectric Station (Lookout Dam) in the Catawba River in Catawba and Iredell counties;
(4) Mountain Island Hydroelectric Station (Mountain Island Dam) in the Catawba River in Gaston and Mecklenburg counties;
(5) Oxford Hydroelectric Station (Oxford Dam) in the Catawba River in Alexander and Catawba counties;
(6) Rhodhiss Hydroelectric Station (Rhodhiss Dam) in the Catawba River in Burke and Caldwell counties; and
(7) Tuxedo Hydroelectric Station (Tuxedo Dam) in the Green River in Henderson County.
History Note: Authority G.S. 75A-3; 75A-15;
Eff. January 1, 2008;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. December 6, 2016.