(a) The owner or operator of a treatment and processing facility (site) shall maintain and operate the site in accordance with the permit conditions and the plans incorporated into the permit in accordance with Rule .0301(f) of this Section, and the following requirements:
(1) a site shall only accept wastes that it is permitted to receive;
(2) leachate shall be contained on‑site or treated prior to discharge from the site. A National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit may be required by the Department's Division of Water Resources prior to discharge to surface waters;
(3) equipment for fire control shall be available;
(4) vector control measures shall be applied to control flies, rodents, and other insects or vermin;
(5) the owner or operator shall provide equipment to operate and maintain the site using safe and sanitary practices for the preservation of the public health and welfare and the environment by preventing the generation of leachate, the attraction of vectors, the release of odors, and the release of waste or leachate to the environment;
(6) barrier methods such as fencing or diking shall be provided to confine material subject to be blown by the wind within the site. At the conclusion of each day of operation, all windblown material resulting from the operation shall be collected and disposed of or containerized by the owner or operator;
(7) sites that are permitted by the Division to accept scrap tires shall also comply with Section .1100 of this Subchapter;
(9) sites shall comply with 15A NCAC 02D, 02L, and the surface water quality standards in 15A NCAC 02B, as well as 15A NCAC 04;
(11) the owner or operator shall only conduct the solid waste management activities that the site is permitted to conduct.
(b) When a site ceases the acceptance of waste, closure of the site shall comply with the following requirements:
(1) The owner or operator shall remove all waste from the site property and dispose of it at a facility permitted by the Division to receive such waste no less than 120 days after the date the site ceased the acceptance of waste.
(2) The owner or operator shall comply with the closure requirements specified in the permit issued by the Division.
(3) For a site that accepts medical waste, the owner or operator shall also meet the requirements of Section .1200 of this Subchapter.
(4) The owner or operator shall notify the Division in writing that the site has been closed in accordance with this Rule.
(5) The Division shall conduct an inspection to determine compliance with Subparagraphs (1) through (3) of this Paragraph.
(6) When a site has been closed in accordance with this Paragraph, the permit is terminated, and any future solid waste management at the site shall require a new permit.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A‑294;
Eff. April 1, 1982;
Readopted Eff. January 1, 2021.