15A NCAC 13B .0509 OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR INCINERATORS
Any person who maintains or operates an incinerator shall maintain and operate the site in conformance with the following practices, unless otherwise specified in the permit:
(1) All incinerators shall be designed and operated in a manner so as to prevent the creation of a nuisance or potential health hazard;
(2) The incinerator plant shall be so situated, equipped, operated, and maintained as to minimize interference with other activities in the area;
(3) All solid waste to be disposed of at the site shall be confined to the dumping area. Adequate storage facilities shall be provided;
(4) Effective vector control measures shall be applied to control flies, rodents, and other insects or vermin;
(5) Equipment shall be provided in the storage and charging areas and elsewhere as needed or as may be required in order to maintain the plant in a sanitary condition;
(6) All residue from the incinerator plant shall be promptly disposed of at an approved sanitary landfill site;
(7) An air quality permit issued by the Division of Environmental Management, Department of Environment, Health, and Natural Resources, shall be obtained prior to operation;
(8) A site shall only accept those solid wastes which it is permitted to receive; and
(9) Water that comes into contact with solid waste will be contained on‑site or properly treated prior to discharge. A NPDES permit may be required prior to discharge to surface waters.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A‑294;
Eff. April 1, 1982;
Amended Eff. September 1, 1990.