15A NCAC 13B .0541 CONSTRUCTION QUALITY ASSURANCE FOR C&DLF FACILITIES
(a) The construction quality control and quality assurance (CQA) plan shall describe the observations and tests that will be used before, during, and upon completion of construction to ensure that the construction and materials meet the design specifications and the construction and certification requirements set forth in Rule .0540 of this Section. The CQA plan shall also describe the procedures to ensure that the integrity of the landfill systems will be maintained prior to waste placement.
(b) For construction of each cell, the CQA plan shall include the following information:
(1) The designation of responsibilities for the construction management organization shall be included in the CQA plan. A pre-construction meeting shall be conducted prior to beginning construction of the initial cell unless otherwise indicated in the permit. The meeting shall include a discussion of the construction management organization, respective duties during construction, and periodic reporting requirements for test results and construction activities.
(2) A description of all field observations, tests, equipment, and calibration procedures for field testing equipment that will be used to ensure that the construction meets or exceeds all design criteria established in accordance with Rules .0539, .0540, and .0543 of this Section shall be included in the CQA plan.
(3) A description of all sampling protocols, sample size, methods for determining sample locations, and frequency of sampling shall be included in the CQA plan.
(4) A description of reporting required by the rules of this Section for CQA activities shall be included in the CQA plan.
(5) A description of planned progress and troubleshooting meetings, including the frequency, shall be included in the CQA plan. The meetings shall occur no less than twice per week, and the proceedings of the meetings shall be documented.
(c) Purpose of the CQA report. The CQA report shall contain the results of all the construction quality assurance and construction quality control testing including documentation of any failed test results, descriptions of procedures used to correct the improperly installed material, and results of all retesting performed. The CQA report shall contain as-built drawings noting any deviation from the approved engineering plans, and shall also contain a comprehensive narrative including daily reports from the project engineer, a series of color photographs of major project features, and documentation of proceedings of all progress and troubleshooting meetings.
(d) For construction of each cell, the CQA report shall be submitted:
(1) after completion of landfill construction to qualify the constructed C&DLF unit for a permit to operate;
(2) after completion of construction of the cap system in accordance with the requirements of Rule .0543 of this Section; and
(3) in accordance with the reporting schedule developed in accordance with Paragraph (b) of this Rule.
(e) The CQA report shall include a statement by the project engineer that construction was completed in accordance with the CQA plan, the conditions of the permit to construct, and the requirements of the rules of this Section. If required by G.S. 89C, the statement shall be certified and bear the seal of the project engineer.
(f) The Division shall review the CQA report within 30 days of a complete submittal to ensure that the report meets the requirements of this Rule.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A-294;
Eff. January 1, 2007;
Readopted Eff. September 16, 2021.