15A NCAC 13B .1409 APPROVAL OF ALTERNATIVE PROCEDURES AND REQUIREMENTS
(a) An owner or operator of a composting facility, subject to the provisions of this Rule, may request in writing the approval of an alternative procedure for the facility or the compost that is produced. The following information shall be submitted to the Solid Waste Section:
(1) The specific facility for which the exception is requested;
(2) The specific provisions of this Section for which the exception is requested;
(3) The basis for the exception;
(4) The alternate procedure or requirement for which the approval is sought and a demonstration that the alternate procedure or requirement provides equivalent protection of the public health and the environment; and
(5) A demonstration of the effectiveness of the proposed alternate procedure.
(b) An individual may request in writing the approval of a solid waste composting pilot or demonstration project for the purpose of evaluating the feasibility of such a project. The following information shall be submitted to the Solid Waste Section:
(1) The owner, operator, location, and contact numbers for the project;
(2) The specific primary waste stream for which the project is to be evaluated;
(3) The specific time frame for the project;
(4) The estimated amount of each type of waste or bulking material to be composted;
(5) The basis for running the pilot or demonstration project;
(6) A description of all testing procedures to be used;
(7) A description of the process to be used, including the method of composting and details of the method of aeration;
(8) The expected final usage or disposal of the final product; and
(9) An outline of the final report to be submitted to the Solid Waste Section upon completion of the project.
(c) For Paragraph (a) of this Rule, the Division will review alternative procedures only to the extent that adequate staffing is available.
(d) Permits shall not be required for primary and secondary school educational projects that take place on the school grounds and that receive less than one cubic yard of material per week.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A-294; 130A-309.03; 130A‑309.11; 130A-309.29;
Eff. December 1, 1991;
RRC objection due to lack of statutory authority Eff. April 18, 1996;
Amended Eff. June 1, 1996.