15A NCAC 13B .1629 CLOSURE AND POST-CLOSURE PLAN
(a) Purpose. As required under Rule .1617 of this Section, the owner or operator shall submit a closure and post-closure plan which meets the requirements of this Rule.
(b) Closure plan contents.
(1) General content of the plan. The owner or operator shall prepare a written closure plan that describes the steps necessary to close all MSWLF units at any point during its active life in accordance with the cap system requirements in Paragraph (c) of this Rule, as applicable. The closure plan, at a minimum, must include the following information:
(A) A description of the cap system and the methods and procedures to be used to install the cap that conforms to the requirements set forth in Paragraph (c) of Rule .1627.
(B) An estimate of the largest area of the MSWLF unit ever requiring the specified cap system at any time during the active life that is consistent with the drawings prepared for:
(i) The operation plan, for an existing MSWLF unit; or
(ii) The engineering plan or facility plan, for a lateral expansion or new MSWLF unit.
(C) An estimate of the maximum inventory of wastes ever on‑site over the active life of the landfill facility; and
(D) A schedule for completing all activities necessary to satisfy the closure criteria set forth in Paragraph (c) of Rule .1627.
(2) Existing MSWLF units. The owner or operator of an existing MSWLF unit not designed and constructed with a base liner system permitted by the Division shall provide the following information:
(A) Local characterization study. The local study area includes the landfill facility and a 2000-foot perimeter measured from the permitted facility boundary. A topography map shall be prepared at a scale of at least one inch equals 400 feet and shall:
(i) Provide current topographic information for the permitted facility;
(ii) Identify all waste supply intakes (ground and surface water);
(iii) Identify underground utility lines;
(iv) Identify private residences; and
(v) Identify any known or potential sources of contamination.
(B) Capacity. The proposed final capacity of the existing MSWLF unit must be calculated from October 9, 1993 and shall be consistent with the criteria set forth in Subparagraph (c)(10) of Rule .1627. The method, data, and assumptions used to calculate the remaining capacity shall be clearly stated.
(C) Compliance Report. The owner or operator shall submit a report that:
(i) Demonstrates compliance with Paragraphs (1), (2), and (6) of Rule .1622;
(ii) Contains a summary of the facility's compliance record for the past five years; and
(iii) Contains water quality and explosive gas monitoring data for the past five years.
(3) Financial Assurance. The owner or operator shall submit the cost estimate for closure required under Rule .1628 of this Section as a component of the plan.
(c) Post-closure plan contents. The owner or operator of all MSWLF units must prepare a written post‑closure plan that includes, at a minimum, the following information:
(1) A description of the monitoring and maintenance activities required in Paragraph (d) of Rule .1627 for each MSWLF unit, and the frequency at which these activities shall be performed;
(2) Name, address, and telephone number of the person or office to contact about the facility during the post‑closure period; and
(3) A description of the planned uses of the property during the post-closure period. Post-closure use of the property shall not disturb the integrity of the cap system, base liner system, or any other components of the containment system, or the function of the monitoring systems unless necessary to comply with the requirements in this Section. The Division may approve any other disturbance if the owner or operator demonstrates that disturbance of the cap system, base liner system, or other component of the containment system, including any removal of waste, will not increase the potential threat to human health or the environment.
(4) Financial Assurance. The owner or operator shall submit the cost estimate for post-closure required under Rule .1628 of this Section as a component of the plan.
History Note: Authority 130A‑294;
Eff. October 9, 1993.