15A NCAC 18A .0173 repacking
(a) Crustacea meat for repacking which is processed in North Carolina shall comply with Rules .0134 through .0187 of this Section. Crustacea meat for repacking which is processed outside of North Carolina shall comply with Rule .0182 of this Section. Quarterly bacteriological reports shall be provided to the Division by the repacker of all foreign crustacea meat for repacking.
(b) The repacker shall provide the Division a current written list of all sources of crustacea meat used for repacking.
(c) Repacking of crustacea meat:
(1) Crustacea meat shall not exceed 45° F (7.1° C) during the repacking process.
(2) Repacking shall be conducted separately by time or space from the routine crustacea meat picking and packing process.
(3) The food contact surfaces and utensils utilized in the repacking process shall be cleaned and sanitized prior to repacking and thereafter on 30 minute intervals during repacking.
(4) Repacked crustacea meat shall be maintained at or below 40° F (4.4° C).
(5) Blending or combining of any of the following shall be prohibited:
(A) Fresh crustacea meat.
(B) Frozen crustacea meat.
(C) Pasteurized crustacea meat.
(D) Crustacea meat packed in another facility.
(6) Crustacea meat shall not be repacked more than one time.
(7) All empty containers shall be rendered unusable.
(d) Labeling of repacked crustacea meat:
(1) Each container shall be legibly embossed, impressed or lithographed with the repacker's or the distributor's name and address.
(2) Each container shall be legibly embossed, impressed or lithographed with the repacker's certification number followed by the letters "RP."
(3) Each container shall be permanently and legibly identified with a code indicating the repack date.
(4) Each container shall be sealed so that tampering can be detected.
(5) Each container of foreign crustacea meat which has been repacked shall be labeled in accordance with Federal labeling requirements.
(e) Records shall be kept for all purchases of crustacea meat for repacking and sales of repacked meat for one year. The records shall be available for inspection by the Division.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A‑230;
Eff. October 1, 1992;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2002; April 1, 1997.