15A NCAC 18A .2515 DESIGN DETAILS
(a) Pools shall be designed and constructed to withstand all loadings for both full and empty conditions.
(b) A hydrostatic relief valve shall be provided for in-ground swimming pools which extend more than two feet below the grade of surrounding land surface unless a gravity drainage system is provided.
(c) Provisions shall be made for complete, continuous circulation of water through all areas of the swimming pool. Swimming pools shall have a circulation system with approved treatment, disinfection, and filtration equipment as required in the rules of this Section.
(d) The minimum depth of water in the swimming pool shall be three feet (0.91 m) except where a minimum depth of less than three feet is needed to provide non-swimming areas such as children's activity areas and sun shelves.
(e) The maximum depth at the shallow end of a swimming pool shall be three and a half feet (1.07 m) except for pools used for competitive swimming, diving or other uses which require water deeper than three and a half feet.
(f) Connections for safety lines shall be recessed in the walls in a manner which presents no hazard to swimmers.
(g) Decorative features such as planters, umbrellas, fountains and waterfalls located on pool decks shall comply with the following:
(1) Decorative features shall not occupy more than 20 percent of the pool perimeter;
(2) If located adjacent to a water depth of greater than five feet, decorative features shall not be more than 20 feet wide;
(3) Decorative features shall not provide handholds or footholds that could encourage climbing above deck level;
(4) A walkway shall be provided to permit free access around decorative features and shall be as wide as the lesser of five feet or the deck width required in Rule .2528 of this Section;
(5) Decorative features shall not obstruct the view of any part of the pool from any seating area; and
(6) Features with moving water shall be separate from the pool recirculation system.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A-282;
Eff. May 1, 1991;
Amended Eff. May 1, 2010; August 1, 2000; April 1, 1999.