15a ncac 18a .2542 IN POOL EXERCISE EQUIPMENT
(a) Exercise equipment such as steps, weights, or floats used in a public swimming pool shall be designed and constructed so as not to pose a threat to water quality or bather safety and shall be removed from the pool after each use.
(b) Where in-pool exercise equipment such as underwater treadmills remain in a swimming pool when not in use, the following conditions shall be met:
(1) The swimming pool shall be restricted to use only by adults or a lifeguard shall be on duty at all times when children are allowed in the pool.
(2) Exercise equipment shall meet Underwriters' Laboratories Standard Number 1647 for exercise equipment as verified in writing by an independent third party testing laboratory.
(3) The position of underwater equipment shall be marked with colored floats attached by a 3/4 inch diameter rope or other movable barrier that surrounds the equipment with a visible perimeter designed so as not to entangle or otherwise threaten bather safety.
(4) Equipment shall be verified by the manufacturer to be designed for use in a public swimming pool and to be free of grease or oil that might negatively impact pool water quality.
(5) Any cords or hoses attached to underwater exercise equipment shall not pose a threat of bather entanglement. Cords or hoses which cross a pool deck shall be covered or shielded to prevent tripping. Covers that protrude more than one-half inch from the deck surface shall be sloped at an angle of no more than 30° from the horizontal deck surface.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A-282;
Eff. January 1, 1996;
Amended Eff. February 1, 2004.