15A NCAC 18A .2810 SPECIFICATIONS FOR KITCHENS, FOOD PREPARATION AREAS AND FOOD SERVICE AREAS
(a) Each child care center shall have at least a two-compartment sink, drainboards or countertop space of adequate size, adequate refrigeration equipment and, when needed, adequate cooking equipment, except for child care centers located in a school that receives all food supplies prepared and ready to serve from a food service establishment permitted by a local health department, which is located at the same school campus and provides food during all hours of child care operation. Domestic or commercial kitchen equipment may be used. Child care centers using multi-service articles shall also provide a dishwasher. In lieu of a dishwasher and two-compartment sink, a three-compartment sink of sufficient size and depth to wash, rinse and sanitize utensils may be used.
(b) A separate lavatory for handwashing is required in food preparation areas. If the dishwashing area is separate from the food preparation area, an additional lavatory shall be required.
(c) A separate food preparation sink with drainboards or countertop space of adequate size shall be required when a plan review indicates that separate facilities are needed based on volume and preparation frequency.
(d) When domestic refrigeration equipment is used, except in child care centers licensed for fewer than 13 children and located in a residence, the following provisions shall apply:
(1) except for thawing under refrigerated conditions, potentially hazardous foods shall not be prepared prior to the day that such foods are to be served;
(2) potentially hazardous foods that have been heated shall not be reheated or placed in refrigeration to be used in whole or in part on another day; and
(3) salads containing potentially hazardous food shall not be prepared on site. Prohibited salads include chicken, egg, tuna, crab, and other salads containing meat.
(e) A commercial hood shall be installed when frying is used for food preparation on site. The hood shall be installed in accordance with the North Carolina Building Code and approved by the local building code enforcement agent.
(f) If food is prepared in a classroom, a food preparation area shall be provided. Water from a handwash lavatory shall not be used to prepare formula, mix dry cereals, or other foods. Toy cleaning and sanitizing may also be conducted in this food preparation area. This food preparation area shall contain an easily cleanable countertop and a lavatory and, when needed, adequate refrigeration. The food preparation counters, bottle warming equipment if used, food and food contact surfaces shall be out of reach of children and the following shall apply:
(1) all equipment shall be cleaned at least daily. Warming equipment shall be cleaned and sanitized as required in Rule .2812 of this Section;
(2) after each use, all multi-service articles provided by the center shall be cleaned and sanitized in the child care center kitchen;
(3) single-service articles shall be handled as required in Rule .2814 of this Section; and
(4) counter, shelf or cabinet space shall be provided for food storage. Food supplies shall be stored in accordance with Rule .2806 of this Section.
History Note: Authority G.S. 110‑91;
Eff. July 1, 1991;
Amended Eff. March 1, 1995;
Temporary Amendment Eff. April 15, 1998;
Amended Eff. April 1, 1999;
Temporary Amendment Eff. December 1, 1999;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2006; January 1, 2006; April 1, 2001.