section .3800 - Private Drinking Water Well Sampling
15A NCAC 18A .3801 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions shall apply throughout this Section:
(1) "Certified laboratory" means the North Carolina State Laboratory of Public Health certified by the US Environmental Protection Agency or a laboratory certified by the Certification Section of the North Carolina Public Health Laboratory pursuant to 10A NCAC 42D to perform tests to determine the presence of coliform bacteria or the chemical constituents to be tested.
(2) "Coliform bacteria" or "total coliform" means aerobic or facultative anaerobic, gram-negative, non-spore forming, rod shaped bacteria included in the genera Klebsiella, Enterobacter, Escherichia and Citrobacter. Coliform bacteria originate in soil, vegetation or the intestinal tract of warm-blooded animals. The presence of coliform bacteria in a water sample indicate the presence of a pathway for bacteria and possibly pathogens to gain entry into a water supply system.
(3) "Department of Environment and Natural Resources" or "Department" means the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The term also means the authorized representative of the Department.
(4) "Fecal coliform bacteria" or "fecal coliform" means a sub-group of coliform bacteria that are present in the intestinal tract and feces of warm-blooded animals. The presence of fecal coliform bacteria in a water sample indicate fecal contamination and the presumed presence of pathogens in the water supply
(5) "Local Health Department" means the county or district health department or its successor.
(6) "Private drinking water well" means a private drinking water well as defined in G.S. 87-85(10a).
History Note: Authority G.S. 87-97;
Eff. July 1, 2008.