15A NCAC 18B .0303 ISSUANCE OF CONSTRUCTION PERMIT
A permit shall be issued by the Division when the following requirements are met:
(1) The person responsible for construction shall carry out such measures as may be prescribed by the Division for preventing the introduction of vector‑borne disease through infected employees coming from without the reservoir area or its environs.
(2) In the area to be occupied by the impounded water, all brush, trees, undergrowth, logs, stumps, and other objects, which if not removed would float or collect flotage on the surface of the impounded water; and all of the above material that is lying on the ground or remaining in the original or new position, which would probably cause collection of flotage, and thus constitute conditions favorable to the production of disease‑producing mosquitoes, shall be removed, burned or otherwise satisfactorily disposed of, prior to the impounding of the water.
(3) In the area to be occupied by the impounded water all trees and other growth which would pierce the surface at minimum low water level shall be cut off at least one foot below such water level, to prevent the collection of drift or flotage.
(4) The shoreline of the impounded water, from minimum low water level to a line ten feet horizontally outward from normal high water level, shall be cleared of all brush, trees, undergrowth and any material which may cause the collection of drift or flotage.
(5) Any area which will be covered by impounded water at the time of maximum water level and in which water will be retained at lower stages of the impounded water, thus forming a separate pool, shall be connected with the main body of the impounded water by a ditch or culvert which will permit effective drainage or access by boat.
(6) In the designing and construction of the impoundage project, flashboards or other means shall be provided for controlled fluctuation of the water level at any season of the year in the manner and amount as specified by the Division.
(7) In the designing and construction of the impoundage project, bottom drains, or other means, shall be provided which will permit removal of the impounded water.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A‑348;
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Readopted Eff. December 5, 1977;
Amended Eff. September 1, 1990; June 15, 1979.